New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM and Vihtavuori powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I've just bought a new Tikka T3 cal. 270 WSM and I need data for reloading; I only have N160/N560 powders and 130/150 gr. bullets. Any hints? Thanks

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting question!

I have a new Winchester Model 70 in .270 WSM that I would like to try N560 in. My dad has the same rifle in 7mm WSM and N560 shoots the best groups of anything he has tried in it.

Having said that, I am having good luck with RL-22 in my rifle. With Nosler 140 Partitions it shoots very repeatable 3/4 inch groups at about 3150 fps.

Vihtavuori makes very good powders, I am using them in several applications at this time. I shoot pistol silhouette competition and everyone I know is using Vihtavuori powders in their single shot pistols chambered for such things as the 7mm BR.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had excellent results with N-165 in my .270WSM, but haven't tried any of the other Vihtavuori powders. They are quite a bit more expensive than other powders and I have a hard time justifying the 50% higher cost when other powders can provide "almost" as good performance. If I ever get to the point where "money is no object", then I will use the Vihtavuori powders exclusively. For the immediate future, I will continue experimenting with Accurate Data 86 Extruded from powder valley for less than $10 per pound.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can download the Viht. 2004 reloading guide from their website
http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com
You will find some 270 WSM data for the powders you mentioned.

Posts: 98 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutchgus, I downloaded the reloading guide almost 2 years ago, but, as you can see, the 270WSM section is quite meagre.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricciardelli, I ALWAYS take a look to your precious website when I need reloading data Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just made some tests; Norma cases, 130 gr. Gameking Sierra bullets, CCI mag. primers.
Starting loads:
N560 62 gr.
N160 60 gr.
Absolutely safe in my rifle. Just to be helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wildboar,

Send me the particulars, Bbl. length, your loaded OAL and such.

I just ran your bullet and powder info through my Quick Load program and it definately showed VV N560 to be a better choice than VV N160 for the .270 Short Fat (WSM).

62.0 grains of VV N560 was O.K.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gerry, I suspect that N560 is almost always a better choice than N160. The rifle is a new Tikka T3, barrel is 60 cm. long, C.O.L. was 73.2 mm. (max. lenght allowed in the magazine). I've just tried 6 rounds loaded with 63 gr. of N560; I got a decent group of 6.4 x 5.7 cm at 200 m. with some lateral wind (I'm only an average-to-good shooter). Average velocity was 891 m/s, sd 4.1. Factory Norma rounds, loaded with 130 gr Nosler BT gave an average velocity of 944 (!) m/s and a sd of 2,5 (!!) I got a slightly larger group, probably due to the increasing wind. Next time I will try 63.5 and 64 gr. since I had no high pressure sign. Let me know if you need some more data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wildboar,

As usual there are so many variables here and I have no control over your relaoding abilities, case prep and such.....

VV N160 has many super applications but cases with more volume I find VV N560 is usually a better choice.

I had already figured the bbl. as a 60cm but the OAL was good info, are you using the Sierra 1820 or 1830 bullet? I did the calculations on the 1820.

The Quick Load shows you are well within the pressure standards.

Like riciardelli says though I use this program as an assistance in load development, with cross-references to manuals and start slow working up little at a time. I much prefer milder loads well-away from so-called maximum's; they produce better component life and kill stuff just fine.

Have fun,

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's the #1820 bullet; would you check for me the max. charge that, in theory, I could load with both N160 and N560, please? Just a curiosity. Thanks.