Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X Accuracy as of Late?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Am I the only one or has anyone else noticed this? I am truly amazed at some of the groups I have shot with these bullets in various calibers. I guess they finally got their stuff together huh? [Wink]

[ 10-23-2002, 00:02: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had the accuracy problems that I hear about with X bullets. In a 6mm BR they shot right with the shilen's and everything else I put through it. Same goes for .264,.416 rigby, 358 Norma.

I have always worried about terminal performance than accuracy with them. Out of about 20 big game animals I have only recovered one x bullet and it had no petals left on it after going through about 3 ft of Kudu.
I will keep shooting them at critters until I get a failure but so far so good for my 2 bits worth.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new profile 300 grain .416 bullet is grouping very well from my winchester.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have always had good accuracy with some of the Barnes X bullets. My 7mm STW loves the 160 grain XLC to the exclusion of all other bullets. A .338 Lapua I shot likes the 250 grain X better than any other bullet. My .257 Wby likes the 100 gr. XLC, though others are slightly more accurate, they can't touch the XLC for speed and hanging tough. [Wink] Good shooting.

<giladad>
posted
THEY SHOOT FANTASTIC IN MY NEW BROWNING 7mmWSM. AS GOOD AS THE MK'S THAT I WAS CONSIDERING USING. 120 gn X

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
The .30 cal 140XBTs that I moly coated shot very well in two different 300WSMs and my 15" .308 Encore.
[Big Grin] Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Most accurate load out of my 30-06 is te 180gr XBT. Never heared a bear complane about the accuracy... of course they never lived long enough to say. All one shot kills and now tracking required.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .308 with Barnes XLCs seems to put them fairly consistantly into MOA and sub MOA @100 yds. Looks like for the moment that they are more accurate than I am.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used the 140's until I ran out. Used up twoboxes on XFB 120s finding a load that would work in my 6.5 X 55 Rem Classic.

Getting 1/2 MOA consistently for three shots at 100Y. CCIBR2's ;ighting off XX.X grains of H4350 for 2980 fps.

I have noticed that the XFBs do measure differently through each box, when measuring from the base to an "ogive" � located by using the Sinclair "nut." Range is bell curved w/ some .007 (under) to a few .004 over the "mean."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two out of my three rifles I have had great success with the X bullets. I am still working on a better load for my 300 Win Mag. This is a more finicky rifle. My 25/06 will take three shot for 5/8" (I have even had a 3/8" group). X bullets lke speed I have found. Fairly heavy charges and following their off land recommendation is the key to their accuracy.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the 168 gr XLC in the 300 RUM? What loads?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote