New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph set-up?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reading-up a bit before buying my first chronograph and have one question as to set-up. Some of the ads mention tripod or table-top setup. However, I can't find info on the minimum distance recommended between the screens and the muzzle of the firearm. So, do any of you place the chrono on your shooting bench, or am I misunderstanding what I am reading....is the table not to be confused with the shooting bench and should be set a distance away from same to prevent damage from muzzle blast, etc.?

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i set mine 15' from the muzzle. if set much closer, you may get error readings from muzzle blast etc.

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
15' as well.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set up at 10 feet and have error problems. I'll try 15 feet soon.
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a chrono user from way back, I'll make a few suggestions. First, I've owned chronos from the highest priced to the cheapest, they all work. I once had a Chrony and an Oehler at the same time. The Oehler had three sky screens and took two readings, one between the first and second, and another between the first and last, then compared them and gave a reading. Sort of a verification. One day just to fool around I placed the Chrony on a tripod between the first two Oehler screens, effectively shooting through three chonos at the same time. The readings from the Chrony never varied from the Oehler more than 1 fps, and that was in the nearly 4000 fps range, as I was shooting a 22/250 AI with 50 grain bullets. That was one of the first Chronys on the market, the newer ones are even better. The Oehler is the same 35P they sell today.
The point is, if you just want to know what velocity you're shooting at, which is about all any chrono can tell you. AND you don't particularly care for the statistical functions, then get a cheap one. They are just as accurate, far easier to set up and more convient to use. I can do the math myself, so I'm not too interested in that. I don't need a computer hook up and I can write the velocities down. But, even the cheapies have some of these functions. I've also used the Pro Chrono and it works well too. You'll hear a lot about getting error readings, but I've never had much of a problem even with the older chronos. You need to be sure and use diffusers over the sky screens on bright sunny days. As to distance, I sometimes use 10 feet or less, but the muzzle blast from something like a 25/06, or such will usually cause the thing to move a litte, but that's usually it.
If you decide you want the whole smear with printer and all, I'd probably still get a Chrony, because they're small and easy to setup. It doesn't take up much space to haul it around. Some of the Oehlers are supposed to have a 10' piece of conduit to hold the sky screens.
Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I've found that 15 feet is about the minimum distance.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My chronograph is a Chrony Beta Master and the calibers I use over it are .243, 22-250, .204 Ruger, and .17 Remington. Last week at the range, I had a .220 Swift owner shoot three shots over the Chrony. I usually set the first screen at about 12 feet from the muzzle and have absolutely no problems with errors unless I shoot too high above the screens. The owner's manual recommends setting your rifle and chronograph up so your bullets are passing about 4 inches to 6 inches above the screens.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense to me. Of course, where I want to use the chrono at has a precipitous drop-off just in front of the benches. Have to move to another part of the range.

I've not been interested in all the bells and whistles, just want to check loads for safety. Looks like a basic chrony and a tripod will go on my shopping list.

Thanks for the assist, guys.

Bob

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote