New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online powder manuals....
 Login/Join

<Hunter333>
posted
I know that the info I am looking for has probably been posted here somewhere but...... I have bullets that are not listed in the manuals that I have. Some are close to in grains but not the same. Also, the bullet type varies but is in the same weight as one listed. Can I use the same weight info even if the bullet style is different? I have: Sierra GK, Hornady 168 BTHP National Match, and Nosler Ballistic Tip in 165. I have some R15 that I would like to use but the manual that I have does not list any of these exact bullets. Sorry if the answer is plainly obvious to my dumb butt [Smile] Thanks!

<Don Martin29>
posted
See if your cartridge is listed at http://recipes.alliantpowder.com

That site lists different bullets for a particular cartridge.

In general you can group similar bullets with the same starting load. This is what working up a load is for.

Good luck.

<Hunter333>
posted
Thanks, that was one that I had tried...... It doesnt list a 168 Hornady, the closest is a 150 and I know that there is a pretty good sized difference in grains loaded for these 2 different weight bullets..... Just looking to get a better starting point for each bullet rather than loading a bunch with different grains.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Hunter you don`t say what cartridge you`re loading for but I take it its the 30-06. You can normally start low and work up loads useing data for like wgt bullets. The data in the manuals is just a report on the bullet or powder manufactures results with their rifle and components and isn`t cut in stone anyway.
My Hornady #5 has the .308 cal 165 - 168gr bullet in the 30/06 listed with:
Fed 210 primer
Hornady case
Starting 43gr R15@2400fps
Max 50gr R15 @2800fps
OAL for the A-Max and BTHP is3.240
Hope this helps

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote