Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mmX.284
 Login/Join

posted
Recently I got a 6mmX.284, I want to start loading for it but I can't find alot of info. The barrel has 1-14 twist and is only 20 inches long. Does anyone have any suggestions on bullet weight, type of powder and starting weight. I have some 55 gr bullets and some 68 gr, should I try something heavier?

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
This may be a good forum to start with:

accurateshooter.com 6mm forum

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has load data http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp Old speer manual #8 has loads using a 1-12 twist using up to a 105gr round nose bullet. Remember its the length of the bullet, not so much the weight. Berger bullets lists twist rates for each bullet.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
The 6mm-284 has about 65 CC worth of case capacity...about the same as a 30-06 case. You can use the same data as a 6mm-06 or 240 Weatherby as long as you start on the low side and work up slowly.

I used 4350, N204, Varget, RL-15 and 19, and 65-80 gr bullets. This cartridge has a BIG case and small bullet so the medium to medium slow powders and the heavier bullets worked the best.

I've shot out 2-3 6mm-284 barrels but always used a 1-12 or faster twist, and the heavier bullets. You might start with 55-58 gr bullets for your 1-14 twist.

A 20" barrel will limit your velocity by a bunch. I always used 26-30" barrels.

I used a section of the last 6mm-284 barrel to make a stub barrel in 6mmBR for a NEF rifle...It was shot out as far as the bigger cartridge was concerned but using 16.5" starting 8" in front of the chamber and lopping off 2" of the muzzle end it ended up shooting well enough for pot guts out to 250 yds with the 55-58 gr bullets. Very handy walk around shooter.

Accurate Reloading has some good information on this one...so does Reloaders Nest. The 1992 Precision Shooting Annual, vol 1, has some very good information on this cartridge and one called the 240 Badger, if you can find a copy.

There is quite a bit of information out there but you have to search for it...more in the varminting/small game forums such as 6mm BR.

Luck