New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm wsm data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for some data for 140 grain bullets, more specifically the Barnes TSX.I e-mailed Barnes twice, but no responce. Anybody out there with some experience? I would appreciate any help

simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
simdow: Here's what they sent to me....

Triple Shock Loading Guidelines

1. What load data do I use for the Triple Shock Bullet?

Answer. We recommend that you use the minimum X Bullet load data to start.

To compensate for the reduced pressures associated with the Triple Shock, you may have to work up 1 to 2 additional grains above listed loads to achieve equal pressures. Pressures can jump dramatically; therefore we recommend that you work up in 1/2 gr. increments until you are no more than 1 to 2 grains above the listed max load or until signs of excessive pressure are evident. Whichever comes first. You should watch for excessive case head expansion, sticky bolt lift, flattened primers or shiny spots on the base of the case. If you have case head expansion of more than .0005" with a once-fired case, this is a sure sign of excessive pressure. You will have to measure your case head with a Blade Micrometer just in front of the extractor groove, or you can use a regular micrometer and measure the belt on belted cases, before and after shooting. When any of these signs appear, back down one full grain and you will have a max load for your gun.

If you do not feel comfortable working up a load, or don't have the proper equipment, then we suggest following the recommended X-Bullet load data. For the 168gr .308 cal Triple Shock Bullet, use the 165gr X-Bullet data.

2. Since the Triple Shock and the XLC coated bullets are similar and both reduce pressures within the bore, can I use the XLC load data with Triple Shocks?

Answer. No. While the Triple Shock and XLC both reduce pressures, they are very different and each bullet has it's own strengths. Reloading using the XLC load data will cause excessive pressures in some cases.

3. How much velocity is gained using the Triple Shock Bullets over the X-Bullets?

Answer. Between 50 and 150 fps can be gained over the X-Bullet when a proper load is worked up.

4. Will I see reduced fouling with the Triple Shock Bullets vs. the X-Bullet?

Answer. Yes. Due to the reduced surface area touching the bore, you will see reduced fouling.

5. How do the Triple Shock bullets compare to the X-Bullet and XLC Bullets?

Answer. The Triple Shock and XLC Bullets are designed around the time-tested and proven X-Bullet. You will find the terminal ballistics to be the same with all three.

6. How is the accuracy with the Triple Shock?

Answer. In testing we have found the Triple Shock bullet to be very accurate. For another test on the accuracy of the new Triple Shock- check out the July issue of Shooting Times and Rick Jamison's article on " New Loads for an Old Favorite - The .270 Winchester .

7. Where do I seat the Triple Shock Bullet?

Answer. As with the X and XLC Bullet, we recommend seating the Triple Shock .050" off the lands {rifling} of your rifle. This length can be determined by using a "Stoney Point Gauge" or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at or on one of the annular rings.

We Aim to please. Reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it!

Ty Herring
Customer Service
TyH@barnesbullets.com
Barnes Bullets Inc.
P.O.Box 215
American Fork, Ut 84003
Tel 801-756-4222
Toll Free 800-574-9200
Fax 801-756-2465

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the problem is that there is no 7mm or 270 WSM load data in Barnes manual #3. I just loaded some TSXs for my Dad's 270WSM with some help from ShortMags. Although there is little data specific to the TSXs anywhere, I found that using data for 150 grain bullets (like NPs or Swift A-frames) provided a good starting point. Be sure to start low and work your way up, watching for pressure signs as you go. I found that a pretty stiff load of H1000 works wonders under 140 TSXs in my Dad's M70. Good luck to you. I think you'll be pleased with the TSXs, they've shot near one-hole groups in both rifles I've tried them in.

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
olarmy,
That is alot of nice info, but DesertRam hit the nail on the head. Nothing about 7mm or 270wsm. I've been to Shortmags before and they have alot of good info, but not alot on the 7mm wsm yet. I'll consider your advice about Nosler and Swift A Frame data. You'r right about the TSX, I love thm in both guns I've tried them in. This is for my new Kimber that I just got bases for, took almost 3 weeks, seems like 3 months.

Anymore info is appreciated.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, give H1000 a try. For the 140 TSXs, we settled on 67 grains, which is .5 grains below Hodgdon's max for 150 grain Hornadys (which also shoot very well with H1000 at 66.5 grains - I think I recall that correctly). Hodgdon lists H1000 for all the heavier bullets in 7WSM, so you should have a good place to start. Try the 154-160 grain loads. We also had pretty decent results with H4831SC, RL19, and RL22, but none of these shot as well as the H1000. With all of these our better accuracy seem to came at or near max. I don't know if it's the rifle or the cartridge, but that .270WSM likes 'em hot!

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Try around 63grs. of IMR4350 or H4350 EXT, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys. I couldn't stay out of this one. You are correct we have very little specific load data for the Triple Shock's. I do happen to have some load data for the 270WSM, 7mm WSM,7mm RUM and 7mm RSAUM specific to the TSX's. The 7mm WSM load data that you requested Simdow is listed below. If anyone also wants load data as listed above, please email me at Barnes Bullets.
Simdow, thanks for trying to get through. We have had some difficulty getting emails in the past. Do not give up. I answer them as quickly as possible and never delete any question. I hope this load data will help you gents. Thanks, Ty
7mm WSM---- MIN -------MAX
140 TSX Barnes
IMR4350 57.5 2830 64.0C 3205
IMR4831 60.0 2866 66.0C 3258
RL-19 63.0 2908 70.0C 3267

DISCLAIMER:
It' important to note that:
1. Whenever Barnes Bullets does not test, and have actual data, on a particular caliber or caliber/bullet combination, we may in some cases provide some guidelines. This information will be based on various procedures and calculations, or obtained from other very reliable sources.
2. SAFETY is our prime concern therefore:
2.1. The loading data is conservative, especially regarding the minimum or starting load to ensure a safe baseline to work from.
2.2. The safety margin built into the starting load may be more than the customary 10%.
3. We strongly recommend.
3.1. To always start at the recommended minimum "START" load.
3.2. If at all possible, measure the velocity.
3.3. Contact us again with the velocity data, so that we can verify, and correlate with our calculated/estimated data. The data should also be compared, with the typical velocity levels accepted in the industry, for that particular caliber-bullet weight combination.
Please feel free to contact us if there are any questions.
Remember !!!! Always start at the minimum or "START" charge and gradually (2% increments) work up towards the "Maximum load."
Barnes Bullets disclaims all possible liability for damages, including actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk and with extreme caution.

We Aim to please. Reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it!

Ty Herring
Customer Service
TyH@barnesbullets.com
Barnes Bullets Inc.
P.O.Box 215
American Fork, Ut 84003
Tel 801-756-4222
Toll Free 800-574-9200
Fax 801-756-2465

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for not staying out, and thank you for the data.

Acually I have another question, does Barnes have a perferance of the 3 powders you mentioned?

Simdow

posted Hide Post
All Three were chosen because they gave the best velocity's. If I were to ask the guys in the lab, the responce would be RL-19. I would have to agree.
Ty