New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick, I need 257 JDJ load data!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I just came across a Contender 257 JDJ!! I've been wanting one for 3 years, but had basically given up finding one. The only load data I have thus far is limited (4 loads) and is old (6/91 issue of "The Sixgunner.") I'm going to contact JD for latest data, but it may be a few days getting here. In the meantime, I'd appreciate your suggestions. For now, all I want to do is work up a load for small whitetail deer. Plan on using 85 and/or 100 gr NBT's I already have. Powders I have on hand that might be useful include WW 748, H322, H335, Benchmark, Varget, RL 19, AA2230, AA2460, RL 15, and H4895. I'm thinking the last two may be most useful. (I can also "borrow" H380, HBlC2, and AA2520.) Until JD's info arrives, I can start by carefully extrapolating data from 250 Savage, but thought I'd first check w/ your experiences for a "magical" load. I'm hoping to have a servicable load to use for 2nd weekend of deer season--only 10 days away!! Talk about a "rush" job. Thanks for the help. Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
More than likely, all you will need is the Re-15. For me, it produced top accuracy and velocity with both bullets you mention. And of the two, I favor the 100 grainer over the 85 grainer, although I have had good results with the latter as well. The 100 grain load is just a bit more authoritative, or so it seemed in the animals I harvested. Using 37 grains of Re-15, I got somewhat over 2650 fps with the 100 grain Nosler. With the 85 grain BT, 38 grains churned up nearly 2900 fps. Both were near max but completely safe in my gun and with terrific case life. Don't take great stock in data provided by JD as he often uses data from JDJ users instead of his own. I understand he now lists Re-7 for the .257 JDJ data -- and we all know that is far too fast for optimum performance.

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary

I sent you a private message.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote