THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can non-cannalured bullets be used in a semi-auto?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can non-cannalured bullets be used in a semi-auto?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am reloading for a BAR and would like to load bullets without a cannelure. Is that possible, and if it is, do I have to decrease the size of the sizing button/expander? I have a .308 right now but would like to get a 300 WSM as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a .300 Winchester Magnum in the BAR. It so happened that the only bullet it liked was the Hornady boattail spire points. These had a cannelure on them, but I never crimped into it. Never had a problem. While I was doing load workup for that rifle I tried Nosler Partitions and Ballistic tips as well with no adverse effects.

My wife shoots a .270 Winchester in the BAR and we load 130 grain ballistic tips in that one. Never had a problem...and we don't crimp that one either.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yes, the non cannelured bullets work great. Be sure to check your clip length. In the thre BARs I've loaded for, the clip length always determined the OAL as long as the lands would allow. The Clips seem to be pretty short on the BARs. Be sure you leave a little em' a tad short so, they'll cycle smoothly.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die for my 300WSM BAR. It does not need a cannelure to work. It will crimp all bullets with or without the cannelure.

Here is a link to Saeed's tests using the Lee FCD. http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

They cost about 8 bucks and work great.. With the Lee FCD the trim to length is also not a problem, brass of diff. lengths will still crimp without crushing the case.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote