New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need accurate 77 gr .223 load data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm working up loads using both the Nosler and Sierra 77 grain bullets for a RRA 24" Varminter with a 1 in 8 twist. Suggestions would be most welcome. I will also try this bullet in a CZ 527 Varminter with a 1 in 9 twist. Anyone tried this bullet in a 1 in 9 barrel? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Varget with good success several yrs ago, when using the 77MK in Highpower competition. My Colt is a 1:9 twist.
Might try AR15.com for additional data.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
77 gr. HPBT- MK
23.9gr. AA-2520
205M Primers

OR:

77 gr. HPBT - MK
23gr. Varget
205M Primer

Play with the OAL for each

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dundee,

Just in my experience I have not been able to get the 77 grain bullets to shoot worth a dam in my 223 with a 1 in 8 twist.

The 75 grainers and 80 grainers shoot one hole groups. The 77 grainers shoot 3 to 4 inch groups with no matter what powder and charge wt I have tried.

As I understand the 77 grainers existance is to shorten up the 80 grain bullet so it will fit into the magazine of an M 16/AR 15. I rack it up to being a compromise, to explain to myself why I can't get it to shoot with a dam, in a rifle that is a tack driver with anything else.

My rifle is a Ruger 77 Mk 2 rebarreled with a heavy sporter, 24 inch stainless Pac Nor barrel, just in case if anyone is wondering so they can comment on why I am not getting any accuracy with the 77 grain bullets.
[Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote