THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Federal Champion II Hulls and Federal Gold Medal Hulls

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Champion II Hulls and Federal Gold Medal Hulls
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was going through my stash of shotgun shell hulls and found that I had a good number of both Federal Champion II and Gold Medal Hulls.

Recent literature does not have any information on the Champ II hulls.

Does the same loading information that applies to the Gold Medal Hulls apply to the Champ II?

The Champ II's seem to crimp better.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
What does the champ II look like? Is it like the Top Gun and Game hull (paper base wad)? I've been loading both Top Gun and Gold medal hulls with good results. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch-

Thank you for the reply. I looked at a Champ II hull and the base looks like the inside of a AA; the base is the same material as the hull itself and the bottom is curved as it approaches the wall of the hull. There is no seam between the base and the wall of the hull. This feature is unlike the Gold Medal hull which appears (at least to the untrained eye, such as mine) to be of two piece construction, i.e. the base of the Gold Medal appears to be "snapped" or wedged into the bottom of the hull to form the base. With the Gold Medal there appears to be a seam between the base and the wall of the hull.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A unibody? Reaaaaallly?

That's the last thing I would have expected; I've never seen Federal load anything but Reifenhauser (sp) design.

Maybe, and this is a guess, these are the hulls made by Estate cartridge (which Federal bought a short while ago, IIRC).

If you have hulls to compare, you might be able to give us the answer. Short of that, a call to Federal might be in order. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch-

Thank you again for your post. I followed your lead and contacted Federal. These hulls are unibody in design and were discontinued by Federal in 1979.

Federal's archives gives a few reloading formulas however, the formulas are based on two primers that Federal no longer makes, namely, the Fed 209 (replaced with Fed 209A) and the Fed 399. Also, the case was a tapered body design hence the wad that was used for this hull was the Fed #12C2, which, is no longer made as well.

I may have to find me an old Lyman reloading manual and see if I can find a cross reference to this wad.

<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
The Lyman #2 manual has several loads listed; like you said, a lot of them are obsolete due to certain components not being available anymore.
Still, there were a few using Fed 209 primers, winchester primers, RXP and WAA12 wads, and powders such as Unique and red dot.
What type of loads were you looking for...hunting? target?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. 16 Gauge-

Thanks so much for your reply. Target loads mainly. I like the idea of using Red Dot.

What ever loads and leads you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
I got these loads out of the Lyman Shotshell manual, 3rd ed. The charge weight is 1 1/8 oz and the powder is red dot:

Charge primer wad Vel. L.U.P

16.5 grs Fed 209 WAA12 1145 10,000

17.0 grs Fed 209 Rem RXP12 1155 9,000

18.0 grs Win 209 WAA12 1195 10,200

17.0 grs CCI209 WAA12 1145 8,600

17.5 grs CCI209 Rem RXP12 1150 8000

Hope these help....let me know if you need some for another powder. Good luck
BTW, in answer to your original question: Gold medal and Champion II hulls cannot switch loading data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. 16 Guage-

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Mr 16 gauge is right on.....

I shot up a lot of those hulls back in the mid 70's on the Trap fields. They crimped better on the machines of the day; better than the AA's and Remington RXP's. The number of reloadings though, wasn't quite up to that of the AA or RXP. The Champ II always split early right at the crimp folds. But the loads sure did look good. And as I recall were a bit less expensive than the Green or Red Brand, yet preformed as well.

I have data but as noted a lot of the components are gone. Federal had a "Black Button Wad" 12C2 if I recall for the hull.

My old "Hercules" Manuel dated 1976 gives the following:

1oz - Fed 209 - WAA12 (white) - 21g Green Dot
1.125 oz- Fed 209-WAA12white-16g red dot-1145 fps
1.125oz-Fed 209-WAA12white-17.5g red dot-1200 fps
1.125oz-Fed 209-WAA12white-17g greed dot-1145 fps
1.125oz-Fed 209-WAA12white-18g green dot-1200 fps
1.125oz-Fed 209-WAA12white-21g Unique-1255 fps

Sorry it's all for the AA Wad but the others listed are history, as are most of the primers.

Hope this helps,

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scout Master 54-

Thank you for your post. Your information is very helpful.

Your courtesy is part of what makes this web-site/bulliten board so great.