New
Find
Notify
Tools

GS Custom bullets--opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for opinions on and sources for the GS Custom bullets. I saw some photos of one of their bullets on another threaed, (that I can't find again) and it looked very interesting. Kind of a triple x with a very tapered heel section, intriguing.

I'm interested in accuracy and on game info.

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is some of my experience.

They are wonderful!!!

http://gsgroup.co.za/kyle.html

Posts: 212 | Location: Forney TX | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've played with a few boxes of them. I wish they had an outlet in America but the laws for sending bullets from their country to ours apparently aren't easy to overcome. I think they are definately the "original" inventor of the ribbed monolithic bullet. They are expensive...you'll pay a little over $1/bullet and shipping time will probably be at least 3-4 weeks if not 3 months. The luck with which they pass through customs will result in the shipping time.
I only bought a few boxes and didn't really spend alot of time working up loads. Accuracy was certainly not out of line with any other bullet I tried. I did load a few for a buddy in AK who took a carribou. It did a "barnes" type job of wound channel.....a garden hose sized hole all the way through with very little bloodshot meat.
If you have the money and desire to play with an exotic bullet I'd say go for it. There is no doubt it is an excellent bullet but it's just that it's kind of hard and expensive to get them that kind of makes the whole process hard to justify in my mind. I'm sure if you type in GS customs into google you'll get to their website and find much much more info. (It is an excellent website.)

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, good intel. I had seen that info on their site Redman, thank you.

You make a good point kraky, after looking at total price (inluding shipping) it would really take something different from a XXX to justify going to them whole hog........

They look really interesting with the heavy taper on the heel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are great. Have used them from 308 caliber to 50.

Pay close attention to the loading instructions on their site. And what they say for the particular bullet type.

Last I heard from Gerard, they are working on getting a US distributor in place.

Yes, they are pricey for standard calibers. But for the big stuff, including nitro calibers, they are in the ballpark in terms of cost.

Load development is expensive. There are outfits out there that will do it for you. Depends on how much time you have. Every rifle is different. Even the same caliber, manufacturer, make and model will shoot differently. Barrel harmonics, how the rifle is bedded, bolt to face closure, etc, all have a impact on how your particular rifle will shoot.

Again, it all depends on how much accuracy you need.

And if pinpoint accuracy is an issue, their HV's (I think) are incredible.

And don't worry about differences in bullet weight. They weigh the bullets before they put them in a box.

If you are looking for a flat nosed hunting round, take a look at Northfork. Their cup point solids are the best. A solid that mushrooms just enough.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Fish I don't know where you've been but the African Hunting Forum has had lot's of threads going back years on GS Custom bullets. Their FN's are excellent bullets by all accounts, and they are accurate to boot. I use them in my 416 Rigby and 500/416 double. Their HV's also have an excellent reputation for accuracy. Gerard has had a rough time on the AR forum. I bought mine several years ago and had no problems.Others had to wait many months. Gerard also set up an American distributor, but as I underatnd it continued to sell direct as well. The distributor got out of the business. Again, check the African Hunting forum, not the reloading forum. I have not shot anything with my GS bullets, but when I got to Africa again, they will be my solids. Gerard's design is I believe the basis for the Northfork and TSX bullets. They are expensive, but then , so are the others! As you get to the bigger calibers, the prices seem to be about the same as others ie. about $1 per bullet. Woodleighs are about that as well.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have imported over 50 boxes of bullets this year and am in the process of buying about 15 more. The pocess is dependant on African time which everyone knows is slow by US standards. I have no trouble ordering the bullets and getting them made. The shipping is the major detriment. If you want them order them up early and factor at least one box of bullets per rifle you are working on to develope the laod. I never had to use that many on load development but if you plan it that way, you will not be disappointed. They are expensive but they are not for plinking and fooling around.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I am looking at more standard (medium bore) calibers. I dont frequent the African Hunting Forum often, I'm afraid I might get the fever, and I can barely afford what I do already--gun nut, reloading nut, NA hunting nut, plus a golfer Roll Eyes Having said that, I think these bullets fall cleanly into the reloading nut category, so......

Thanks for the feedback, the HV in 6.5, .277 & .308 was where I was thinking, so I'll give that some more thought.

posted Hide Post
I have been using 130gr HV for 2 jrs. Use 44.7gr of Somchem's S 335 powder in my Musgrave '83 .308 win. Get 3016 ft/s from it. Shot 1 blue wildebeest (50m), 1 red hartbeest (226m), 5 blesbuck100-250m), 1 springbuck (216m) and 1 warthog (75m). All were 1-shot kills. No bullets recovered.
I am very happy with it.

Posts: 22 | Location: Rustenburg, South-Africa | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a few of Gerard's bullets, and they do very well. As said, I wish they would get their US distribution point in place, because the shipping is what holds me back. I had a shipment lost (and replaced promptly without question, I hasten to add), and it's just not worth it.

We've taken a few animals with the GS's, and they work great. However, with the advent of the TSX, I miss them less and less. I can walk down to Sportman's Warehouse and pick up any box of TSX's I could want. They aren't as good, but they are plenty good enough.

It's good to see Gerard busy making bullets, however. The innovators rarely get to benefit from their advances. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I love them! I wish they would get their US distribution point in place!!! Frowner

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AT the prices we pay for hunts/trophy fees/taxidermy/airfares etc these days, I cannot see where a $1+ a pill is expensive. If one is fortunate enough to have his hunting free,then one has a lot more $$$ in their pocket to spend on top knotch projectiles.
If a person through load developement & practice and actual hunting, took an average of one decent game animal for every 5 GSC pills he bought,that still sounds like good value to me.
What is the meat that one gathers worth?... compensation many times over what you spent on the GscHV. To add to that, your spending your money on an activity that you enjoy doing.