New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 colt loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been having a hard time finding loading data for 200gr lrnfp with W231.It is for a Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel, but am looking for accuracy and not bone jolting loads. Also any experience with the lee factory crimp die on this cartridge would be appreciated. thanks

Posts: 52 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Try starting with 7.5g. of 231.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall, the Lyman book goes from 4.0 to 6.5. The 231 would create considerable pressure at 7.5, yes? But I'm game if it would narrow the search and perform on paper.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I used to use the bullet seater to seat the bullet and apply the crimp all at once. Lots of fiddling around to get it all adjusted right, etc. Plus, it's easy to botch the crimp so that the round will not chamber. Since I went with the factory crimp die - much better! Easier to set up and much more consistent results. Best $ I've spent on reloading gear.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put together loads with the 231 from 5.5 to 7.5gr. Using the factory crimp, half with a hard crimp and half a soft crimp. Want to see the difference in accuracy in each load with different crimps. Have to agree the factory crimp does a slick job on the cannelure. Also use a factory crimp for 45acp, every round chambers perfect. Still haven't had much luck finding data for the 200gr lswc 45 colt. May go to the local shop and check some older manuals tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Cast Bullet Manuel, Manuel # 1, lists the 200 grains SWC bullet and recommends Win. 231 powder starting at 6.9 grains up to 7.9 grains. Firearm was a Colt S.A. 5 1/2" bbl. (I'd think this would also be fine for Colt S.A. clones, and S&W 25.)

6.9 grains = 832 FPS
7.9 grains = 943 FPS

For Ruger Blackhawk, they list max load with same bullet, and 10.6 grains 231, 1,314 FPS, from 7 1/2" barrel.

Good luck. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate the help. Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother's revolver shoots 6 gr Unique and 300 gr cast very accurately.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
using a 250 gr.copper plated fprn.+ 8.5gr.of clays does about the best for me,,,In my 4 5/8" vaquero,,and even better in my contender.Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried several loads today, each with soft crimp and hard crimp.(half turn and full turn on factory crimp) Only problem is I stopped at 7.3 of 231. The 7.0 and 7.3 were both great, better with the soft crimp. The cannalure must make the difference since the 45acp seems to do better with a hard crimp. BTW the Kimber seems to like 4.7 to 5.2 of the 231. It seems anything over 5.7 may require a stonger spring to return to full battery since I had to give a few rounds a little push. Plan on giving the Ruger a few more loads up to 8.0 to make sure I'm not missing anything. May also try cci primers to see if there is a difference from the win lp's I use now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hold it! Are talking about 45 Colt loads or 45ACP loads?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote