New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Partitions?
 Login/Join

<Zeke>
posted
Say for the sake of disussion that the Partition bullet did not exist. What are some of the other alternative to Partitons? This is for Elk? and Mule Deer.
I would like to know what other bullets folks are using besides the Partiton.
The rifle is a 270WCF. I keep H4831SC and IMR 4350 on hand.

Thanks
ZM

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are talking no premium bullets @ all, I would probably go w/ good old Rem. Coreloks & then Hornady Interloks in heavy for caliber weights.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a bonded insert or soft nose.

I'm tempted to try Swift 150gr Sciroccos in my .308 for deer but it's awful hard pretending Partitions don't exist. IMO they are the best of both worlds, expansion and penetration.

No one has convinced me yet that Partitions in the sub-.338 calibers don't expand just as quickly as any of the insert tips, including Nosler's own.

[ 11-07-2002, 06:48: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
From .224 to .308, Sierra HPBT.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother killed his moose with a 150 Scirocco out of his 300 Ultra at 200 yard last year. The first shot was a pass through shot in the lungs quartering tward him. He went down hard. The next shot was at 50 yards in the lungs broadside, he was still moving around some. This stopped under the hide and retained 83% weight with a perfect mushroom.

I like Swift because they're bonded, and with big bear up here it may count someday. At longer ranges I doubt it makes a difference, but the one you wonder about is the one just around the corner and the A-Frame is tough medicine along with the Barnes X.

He killed a black bear at 50 yards with the same gun and a 150gr Nosler BT with a broadside chest shot. The hide was ruined, you could have stuck a coffie can in the exit wound. He killed a mountain goat at 150 yards with the same bullet and the same thing too, a giant exit wound and a shoulder mount was the only option. They both died instantly though.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Try the Barnes X, should give you wat you want, I have shot Kudu and Eland with it and got grate penetration

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For elk with a .270 Winchester, if you'll use 150 grain bullets of just about any make, the terminal velocity will be reasonable enough that you'll get adequate penetration. Most people recommmend Hornady as one of the better conventional bullets at holding together and still providing decent expansion, but I would be just as confident with Speers or (flat base) Sierras.

Muley's aren't a big challenge for a .270. Any conventional bullet from 130 to 150 grains which shoots well will do the trick.

That said, I'd be happiest with the Nosler's in either situation. It's not so much that their performance is needed or even always superior as it is that they virtually never fail to perform as expected. Most conventional bullets do well the great majority of the time, it's just that small percentage of unexpected shortcomings (whether failure to expand or failure to penetrate) that introduces some question.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DONT FORGET swift a frame and trophy bonded. A-frames have been real accurate for me.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Woodleighs. They're not cheap but they work. MidwayUSA has the best prices that I've seen so far for Woodleigh bullets.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift A frames are the best. If the Barnes X bullets shoot well in a particular rifle they are good also. I have found some rifles just wouldn't group with the x bullet. Ones that do usually group real well.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frames. I've never had a failure with them, and they shoot great in my rifles.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frame, especially for stuff larger than deer.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
With no Partitions, heaven forbid, I would try the Barnes finally and if I couldn't get them to shoot then I would just go to a heavy for caliber soft point like a 162 gr or 175 gr Hornady BTSP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
take a look at my North Fork pics in the big game forum. Very simular to the old Bear Claws.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Fail safe is another good choice. That or the X bullet. See what shoots good too.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a tough question. I couldn't imagine a world without Nosler Partitions.

OK, but if they didn't exist, these would be my choices..in order from top to bottom.

1.) Barnes-X
2.) GS Custom
3.) Hornady Interlock
5,000,000.) Speer Grand Slam (I just can't get good accuracy with them)

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Woodleighs and North Forks, and in monolithics I will take the GS Custom HV or the Failsafe..I have little experience with the Failsafe personally but have seen it applied enough to know it is a good bullet..

I cannot imagine life without a Nosler partition. God forbid.

I think I have used most all the bullets on game at one time or another and today most all of them work but the above are what I settled on...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
Say for the sake of disussion that the Partition bullet did not exist. What are some of the other alternative to Partitons? This is for Elk? and Mule Deer.
I would like to know what other bullets folks are using besides the Partiton.
The rifle is a 270WCF. I keep H4831SC and IMR 4350 on hand.

Thanks
ZM

No premium bullets? I would go to a bigger bore. a .338 225 grain should be enough in most any type bullet.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If you just feel that partitions are overpriced (Ditto) and want a reasonable priced bullet then a hornady is hard to beat IMO. That being said though, a .270 150/160 grn partition would be a very tough bullet to beat for Elk in that particular caliber. Use the lesser priced ones for load developing and deer. [Wink]

[ 11-10-2002, 20:58: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote