Find
Notify
Tools

Hot primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a list in order on how hot primers are

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI don't have info on all the primers but do have a few.
Primers can be slected by their heat or pressure range. There are class A, B, and C primers. There can be as much as 12% pressure differance between A-C.

Class A Large Rifle
Federal 210, Remington 9 1/2

Class B is about 6% more pressure than class A
CCI-200

Class C is about 6% more pressure than class B
CCI-250, Federal 215

Small rifle
Class A Remington 6 1/2

Class B CCI-400

Class C Federal 205

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It appears to vary w/ the powders used. I have found that Fed210M to be hotter than RP9 1/2M when using slower powders in my .260ai. This is based on chronographed vel. results. This is interesting reading;
http://www.speakeasy.org/~cdlong/primer%20study.htm

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Class A Large Rifle
Federal 210, Remington 9 1/2

Class B is about 6% more pressure than class A
CCI-200

Class C is about 6% more pressure than class B
CCI-250, Federal 215

"It appears to vary w/ the powders used. "

Interesting.......yesterday testing loads in my 375 h&h and 338 WM using RL 15 and RL 19 respectively, found that the Fed 215 produces 75 -90 fps LESS velocity than the Fed 210 primers in BOTH rifles. Whodathunkit?

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Of course the question is then raised, does a hotter primer necessarily create a higher muzzle velocity?

For rifle primers, the Fed 215 and Win WLRM are considered the hottest primers.

Personally I use std large primers in cases burning 70gr or less of powder, and then go to mag primers for those cases burning 80 or more gr of powder.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:

Personally I use std large primers in cases burning 70gr or less of powder, and then go to mag primers for those cases burning 80 or more gr of powder.

. . . . and simply avoid those cases that burn between 70 and 80 grains of powder?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Most of my loads seem to fall one way or the other. Ok, I do only use 76 gr of RL-7 for my 350 gr loads in my 458 Lott, and light it off with a Fed 215.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you shoot 2 identical loads, except switch primer brands/types, wouldn't the hotter primer give you a higher vel.? An increase in pressure "usually" means a higher vel. Any thoughts?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Velocity is produced by the area under the curve, the curve being pressure over time, with time relating to barrel length. Changing the primer will change the shape of the curve, perhaps raising the peak pressure, perhaps dropping the peak pressure, but it is the overall area of the curve that relates to velocity.

So, starting off with a hotter spark may or may not raise pressure, and it may or may not raise velocity.

The real question is does one need a hotter or cooler spark to get consistant ignition and hence best accuracy? The answer, it depends lol

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
If you shoot 2 identical loads, except switch primer brands/types, wouldn't the hotter primer give you a higher vel.? An increase in pressure "usually" means a higher vel. Any thoughts?

One would certainly think so, but the following results do not bear it out. The following strings were fired day before yesterday, 95* F and each string was 10 rounds.

375 h&h, 260 gr. accubond, 73 gr. RL15, RP twice fired cases:

Fed. 210's averaged 2665 fps
Fed. 215's averaged 2615 fps

338 Win Mag, 200 gr. Silvertip, 75 gr. RL19, WW twice fired cases:

Fed. 210's averaged 2900 fps
Fed. 215's averaged 2826 fps

My guess is the Mag. primers ignited powder a tad quicker, burning all the powder right away, probably higher breech pressure but less progressive burning, thus less muzzle pressure letting bullet leave bbl a bit slower????

The more I learn about reloading, the less I find I know! Confused

Regards,
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:

Funny you should ask this question...

Primer " heat " ( for lack of a better term ) can vary with the impact force of the firing pin. As in an easy to light , but less vigorous primer may ignite powder better than a " hard " , but more vigorous primer, when hit by a light firing pin strike.

This is another halfast non lab grade observation from myself which is still being researched...

Travis F.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hm1996....

Your results might also be strongly influenced by temperature. In the powder and primer combinations I have tested, I have found ROUGHLY 10 fps and 200 PSI peak for each degree F of chamber temperature ('06 class cases). The differences you saw could simply be due to a fairly minor 7.5 F difference in chamber temperature. It might not be primers at all.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen several instances where the Fed 215 gave lower velocities AND pressures than CCI 200s.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your results might also be strongly influenced by temperature. In the powder and primer combinations I have tested, I have found ROUGHLY 10 fps and 200 PSI peak for each degree F of chamber temperature ('06 class cases). The differences you saw could simply be due to a fairly minor 7.5 F difference in chamber temperature. It might not be primers at all.

I am sure temp. can and does affect ignition, but in this case, I shot 10 shots starting with the 210's in both rifles, then ten shots w/215's. Would wait between shots until barrel colled to "warm to the touch". Really scientific, don't ya know :-), but I would expect that if anything, the bbl would have been a bit warmer on the 2nd 10 shot string than the first.

Regards,
hm

one of us
posted Hide Post
With small(100 gr or less) powder
charges magnum primers usually
won't do any better than standard.When you get 120 gr on up that is where the mag primers make
a little more velocity.In small cases mag
primers make peak pressure higher and
changes the pressure curve so it isn't
as effective, as using mag primers in
huge cases and more powder.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote