Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Pocket Dimensions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I had a friend who had 3 cartridges misfire, out of a batch of 50-60. That was a bit much... He said the primers of the cartridges which misfired were hardly or not dented by the firing pin at all. I have yet to see a batch of both fired, misfired and loaded rounds.

Now, I'm aware there does not have to be ONE reason for problems like this. It could be any one or a combination of at least:
- too deep a primer pocket
- an out of spec primer (primers in question were CCI 250 Mag)
- too hard a primer cup
- too weak a main spring
- too short firing pin protrusion

At this very moment, without having seen the rounds which misfired, I'm sort of suspecting the primer pockets - simply based on the missing indent of the firing pin. Should that be the case, is there a spec for the dimensions of a primer pocket for large rifle primers - in particular depth??

Likewise, is there a spec for the dimensions of a large rifle primer??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Have you ruled-out crud around the firing pin?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ninety-nine chances out of 100 it is a problem with the gun. One of the possiblities you failed to mention would be excessive headspace (short base-to-shoulder dimension) of the misfiring cartridges.

I highly doubt either "short" primers or an overly "deep" primer pocket. In 40+ years of reloading I have never run across either.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It seems like you are both suspect gun as opposed to problems of the primer pocket dimensions. I shall certainly keep this in mind when I try to debug the problem further. I'll also compare the heads-shoulder dimension of the misfiring rounds with both fired and loaded cases, one more option. AR is an amazing place to tap into a bunch of experience cheers

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excess oil around the firing pin can cause weak strikes. The oil acts as a buffer around the taper where the body of the pin begins to reduce.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A large pistol primer is shorter than a large rifle primer - usually.

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote