Find
Notify
Tools

SR 4756 in .45ACP?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted
I came up with a great handload a while back using the 230 gr. Golden Saber and VV 3N37. Can't get VV locally anymore, so I have been experimenting with different powders to see if I can get the same kind of results with a less expensive powder. I've used a number of different powders with pretty good success and it occurred to me that I have never tried 4756. I want high performance with 230 gr. JHPs, (900 FPS from my 4.2" P-345) low flash and a clean burn if possible. I usually use ball powders for this type of loading, but 4756 is fine cut and since it's single based, I thought it might have minimal flash. I know it has a reputation for clean burn. I'll probably use it with the 185 gr. G-S as well. Anybody using 4756?

WSF is another I've thought about because of it's velocity potential, but I haven't used it in .45 ACP and wonder if it's clean with low flash?

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
KLN357, You have hit upon one of my secret loads! I shoot a Sig 220 with the 230/4756 combination. Maximum velocity has been over 1,000 ft/sec's. I cut back a bit as it is rather stout, and I am not one for total all out loads. I now shoot the powder at about 950ft/sec with the Hornady XTP-HP. I am away from home till the end of the month, or I would post some chronograph results and load parameters. If you are experienced, work up slowly as the powder will pressure spike at the top end. It can also be ratehr awesome in the .38 special with 110, 125 grain bullets. Many years ago at an SCI convention I had the opportunity to talk to Peter Pi of Corbon Ammunition about SR 4756 and the .38... He is or was a believer as well! That of course would be another story. I have been using SR4756 for well over 35 years in serious handgun ammunition, and it quite accurate as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time I used 4756 in copius amounts in the 45 ACP.
They were hot and accurate loads.
I used a 24 lb recoil spring if I remember correctly.
I got slightly ofer 1100fps with the Speer 200gr HP.

Over 1000 fps with the Speer 225 HP [I got over 1100fps with this bullet and Unique].

These loads are hot and hard on your gun. You must use an extra power recoil spring.
A Wilson buffer would be a good idea too. I usaed US GI brass, W#CC 67 if my memory is correct.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, Guys!

308Sako: some of these loads will probably go through a 220 soon, as I think my shooting partner has decided he has to have one, or maybe the Springfield XD.

I really don't need to go above 950 FPS and velocity wise we're talking about +P level at that point. Just nice to be able to do it without +P pressure. Looked to me like 4756 was capable. Since it's single base with small flakes, I thought it might be a low flasher which is mandatory for me because I do shoot at night. If I did take this bullet up to 1000 FPS, I'd probably have to try it out on a Tusker!

Buffers or extra power recoil springs are not an issue with this pistol. One of the main reasons I bought the P-345 is the locking system and excellent recoil reduction system. It shoots softer than any .45 ACP I've ever fired and Rugers recoil reduction system is equal or superior to H&Ks IMHO. Ruger is missing the boat by not giving us a 10mm version of this pistol!

BTW, I got some help from the ballistician at Vihta Vouri, because the only load they've ever listed for 3N37 for .45 ACP, was in their first edition load booklet from 15 or so years ago. The 3N37 charge is slightly higher than the N350 charge for a 200 gr. FMJ. The V-V ballistician confirmed what I had already believed to be true; 3N37 can be used in any load where N350 is recommended. Hopefully I can equal the accuracy of the 3N37 load which has provided some .75" 5 shot groups @ 50'. Thanks again! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote