Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Primer Tool Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted
I'm trying to get set up for reloading, primarily NE rounds (470, 450 3-1/4"). I've ordered most of the tools I think I need, but when it comes to installing primers, the reviews are all over the board. Some of the "universal" tools sound like they may not accomodate the rim diameters on the larger NE cases?

Anyhow, if those with experience loading 470 and 450 NE cartridges have some recommendations based on experience, I would certainly appreciate it. Cost is of way less concern than quality, reliability and safety. I'd rather buy the right one one time ....

Thanks

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with those cartridges.

I use the $20 Lee hand primer units and I have 4 of them set up for different purposes.

Why not just prime at the press with your ram?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My RCBS "Universal Hand Primer will do up to 450/400 NE. I'm not sure about 470?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can only prime those fatsos with a tool that uses your press shell holder.

I think RCBS makes a hand tool that uses press shell holders.

The ram prime tools work also.

The ram prime tool is not a hand tool but then you are way out of the mainstream with those rounds.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give 21st Century (not the Realtor) a call. They should be able to make appropriately sized shell holders for any of the cases in question.

The RCBS hand unit will also work. I use Redding shell holders with it.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started using the priming tool on my Rock Chucker. After about 20 years or so went to the RCBS hand priming tool and it does work with 450/400 as well as my 450 NE.
The hand priming tool is convenient but the more I use them the less I like them. I have decided to go back to a RCBS bench primer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By far my favorite priming tool is the Lee Auto Prime. However, its lips are not large enough to accommodate anything larger than a belted magnum (at least the version I have won't). Mine is too small for even a WSM or RUM case, which has the same rim as a belted magnum but a larger body. So I doubt the Lee being able to accommodate your big rimmed rounds.

But you can't be loading hundreds of these big boomers, so why not just use the priming mechanism, rudimentary as it may be, built into your press?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the following auto prime system and the pro's and con's are:

RCBS Universal Auto Prime - Sometimes it catch the primer not in line with the primer pocket. This could cause the anvil to pop out.

RCBS Auto Prime - works nice with shell holders, but it must be RCBS shell holders. Other brands give different seating depts. Only fault in this system is the primer stem that fell out when you turn the system to one side or upside down. Not that it happen a lot, but if it happen you have to look everywhere for the stem.

Hornady Auto Prime - It comes with a primer tray for RCBS and Hornady shell holders. It primes with ease and is softer on the hand than the RCBS systems above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this from RCBS for the 470 & 500

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConne...index&productId=2884

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS but have never tried a 470. But since it uses the shell holder should work fine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
I'm trying to get set up for reloading, primarily NE rounds (470, 450 3-1/4"). I've ordered most of the tools I think I need, but when it comes to installing primers, the reviews are all over the board. Some of the "universal" tools sound like they may not accomodate the rim diameters on the larger NE cases

Anyhow, if those with experience loading 470 and 450 NE cartridges have some recommendations based on experience, I would certainly appreciate it. Cost is of way less concern than quality, reliability and safety. I'd rather buy the right one one time ....

Thanks

I recently purchased a hand priming tool from 21st century shooting. You won't find a hand primer of better quality, and if they don't have a shellholder for your caliber, all you need to do is send them a case and they'll make one special for you. I expect I'll have my priming tool forever - it's made that well!

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I have been using this one for many years and I am happy with it. It uses Lee shell holders. I would definitely call and ask first to make sure it can accommodate your larger cases.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/re...-tool-prod37732.aspx

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Lee auto prime II. Ive had one for several years but used to use the hand version. Now I keep my APII set up on my turret and have never looked back. It is a slick system.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote