Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Help
 Login/Join

posted
Ok you experienced guys can start laughing right now, and telling me I am out of my mind. But here I go.

I am going to Namibia in October and have a new Bradshaw double on the way. 375 flanged and 470 NE 2 bbl set. That is the good news.

I have a lifetime supply of brass and bullets.

I don't have any POWDER. Where the hell do you get powder and primers. I have exhausted the internet. I am looking for RL15 and or H4350 based on info gleaned from this forum.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Posts: 22 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I don't know what to tell you other than keep checking the various sites and LGS. If you were closer I would loan you some. Maybe see if any of your friends can help?
Since UPS charges extra for shipping and my LGS charges such high prices, it forces me to buy in large quantities so I end up with lots of inventory. Maybe someone local is in the same situation and would have some to spare until the madness stops.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Obamas second term. And i thought 2008/09 was bad. That was a walk in the park compared to today.

RL 15 is probably one of the more scarce powders. I don't think you will find any on the net. Might luck into a lb on a dealers shelf if you happen to walk in while he's stocking it.

H4350 might be easier to find. But, most of the popular powders are very difficult to come by. Might try trading someone something.

I'll trade you an even swap. A lb of H4350 for a lb of gold. I'll even include primers.

I'm a giver. Cool

Ok, seriously, if you are in Dallas, I'll trade you a lb of H4350 if you have a powder I need. Can even spare some mag primers if you get in a jam. Email me if you need some help.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google "powder burn rate". You will find the Hodgdon chart. You can use this to find similar powders, such as Vihta Vouri N140, Hodgon VARGET, Accurate Arms 2520, IMR 4064, etc. IMR 4350 might work, but it is quite a bit slower that RL 15.

PLEASE buy at least two reloading manuals and read them before you begin. It sounds like you are a newbie. Advice: Contact Superior Ammunition and have them prepare your ammo. This is not the time to get started in handloading! It ain't that simple, esp for a double. Don't risk a $20,000 safari.

Been there (Africa) ten times, been handloading 50 years.
Best wishes for your safari!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found IMR4064 works better then RL15 in my 416 T.

I brought 5lbs of RL15 and use about a 1/4lb of it before switching to 4064.

So I have 4 3/4 + lbs of sitting in the reloading room I would trade for 4064.

Trouble is the Haz mat shipping is such a pain.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind replies. I had a little luck yesterday and scored 1 lb of RL17, 1lb of 4064 and surprise of surprises 8 lb of titegroup. I shoot a lot of 45 ACP.

Anyone need some titegroup?

Posts: 22 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend reading Graeme Wright's book on Shooting the british Double Rifle before you start reloading for the DR.

Good luck with the project. I cannot wait to see the photos of the rifle and the safari.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote