Notify
Tools

416 SM2 300 short win mag .416 need load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted
any one out there with load data for this rifle

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I don't have any load info for you but it does sound interesting a .416 on a WSM case.
I'm a big fan of my 400 Whelen and often thought about a 400 WSM just for fun.
Hopefully someone can chime in that knows more.
If I were left on my own to figure it out I would probably get someone to run a Quickload check on IMR4895 or TAC, maybe H4895 and I think it would fly.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if there is no data available I would be looking to modify some 400 whelen data to get started.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Lamar
That's my thinking exactly
That's why I mentioned the powders I did, they are working well in the 400 Whelen and I think the loads would be a great way to get started, check it with Quickload to see more details on potential pressure.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
CFE223 should be another powder choice.
Let us know when you get this cartridge going, I'm curious.
Should compare case capacity to the 416 Ruger and if they are similar work off that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search for 416 B&M data. It'll be close, but the B&M will have a little more capacity. Capacity will be pretty close to the 416 Taylor, so that's another place to look for starting points.

The WSM case will have greater capacity than the 400W. You can get more, and slower, powder in there. If you compare a WSM with its equivalent belted mag you'll see a lot of overlap in powder choices with a very slight edge to minimally faster powders. Im thinking powder in the 4350 range will be your huckleberry.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote