Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

posted
Any body find a good load with the 39gr sierra.Using a savage 12fv w/ 6-24x 50mm simmons scope, just staring to reload for my varmint gun, mainly going to be used for coyotes and small varmints.

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Sask,

I have a Kimber Pro varmint in 204. I exclusively use the 39gr Sierra Blitzking and the best powder is H4895 - I was using BLC-2 and H4895 hands down is the winner for accuracy and velocity. With 27.7grs H4895 I can safely hit 3873fps (I have had a couple hit 3910 with that load). My Kimber has a 22inch barrel BTW.

Most guys will tell you either H4895 or Reloader 10x

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of IRISH
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle and found A2230 with the 39 sierra's shoot half min. 26.5 is my load but reduce 10% and work up.IRISH

Posts: 13 | Location: Spencer, WI | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll try one of those powders to start.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

I am presently loading for two Savages. Mine is an FV and the other is a BVSS. Both like the 39 Sierra. I found the best load for these two using WW brass, IMR 4895, and Remington SRBR primers. The primers really helped, I was totally surprised.

Also, I found seating depth affected group size in both rifles. I think I am at .015 off the lands. I can't recall the exact load, I can look it up later, but I think it was between 26 and 27 gr. I will edit or add a post later with the load.

BTW, the 40 gr. Berger will outshoot the 39 Sierra in these rifles. I have gone to using the Berger in both. It was hard to see any difference at 100 yds, but at extended ranges the proof was evident.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote