Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44mag in 444marlin
 Login/Join

posted
I RECENTLY ACQUIRED A 444 MARLIN AND I HAVE BEEN CURIOUS ABOUT FIRING 44SPEC OR 44MAG CARTRIDGES IN THE REFLE FOR LIGHT PLINKING LOADS. I'M SURE THEY WOULD FIRE ALTHOUGH THEY MAY NOT FEED THROUGH THE MAGAZINE, BUT I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT THE RATHER LONG JUMP FROM THE CASE MOUTH TO THE LANDS. WOULD THIS CAUSE EXCESSIVE WEAR ON THE BARREL. DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS MATTER.

Posts: 2 | Location: LITTLE ROCK ,ARKANSAS | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to tell you whether it's safe. I'm sure someone else will.

I'll tell you what does happen when I shoot a lot of 38 Spl. ammunition in my 357. A ring of fouling builds up in the chamber just where the 38 Spl. case mouth ends. This ring of fouling prevents the chambering of 357 Magnum cartridges, and it is difficult to clean out. If I want to shoot "38" loads in my 357 (and that's mostly what I shoot), I use 357 brass and a lighter powder charge.

It would be extra cool if the 44 Magnum or Spl. ammo feeds for you, though, since that will give you another round or three in a tubular magazine.

H. C.

[ 04-30-2003, 05:30: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll tell you. NO NO!. Jimminy, didn't you take the time to compare the case head sizes? The .44 Mag has a smaller case head than the .444 Remington. Given the pressures involved, it is likely that the .44 Mag cases will split and spew gas through your gun.

That said, in all fairness, I'm sure some twit has done it and lived. I've also seen others bring it up now and then on this and other forums. You aren't the only person to ponder this.

However, a quick look at commonly available references, written or on the net and a complete knowledge of the history of the cartridge you're pondering will quickly answer your question(s). This would apply to this or any other cartridge interchangeability question you may have.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HOBIE, I RECHECKED AND YOU ARE VERY CORRECT. I FIRST JUST LOKED AT THE BASE OR RIM AND THEY WERE THE SAME AT.514 , BUT JUST FORWARD OF THE RIM THE 444 IS SOME LARGER. CERTAINLY ENOUGH TO CAUSE PROBLEMS RANGING FROM A STUCK CASE FROM A SPLIT CASE. THIS DEFINITELY WOULD NOT BE SAFE. THANKS AND I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED ALL OF THE DIMENSIONS BEFORE EVEN THINKING ABOUT THIS.

Posts: 19 | Location: LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Well, you're not the only one. I apologize if I came off a bit rough. I had just heard this one at the range AND in a gun shop. Again, it seems that I run into this every couple of months or so.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobie:
Well, I'll tell you. NO NO!. Jimminy, didn't you take the time to compare the case head sizes? The .44 Mag has a smaller case head than the .444 Remington. Given the pressures involved, it is likely that the .44 Mag cases will split and spew gas through your gun.

That said, in all fairness, I'm sure some twit has done it and lived.

Now Hobie, the .444 is .4706 copared to the .44 at .4570. That's .0136 inch. I hope those people who fire form brass aren't restricted to expanding the brass less than than much.

And what is with calling people a 'twit' because you don't understand? geez!!!

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote