New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Mag COL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just starting to load for this caliber. The only bullets I have are Hornady 500 gr. DGX and DGS
and some Accurate 2230 powder.

When I seat the bullet down to the cannelure, the COL is only 3.300 or less.
The max COL listed is 3.340 I did get a Lee factory crimp die but have just seated one bullet
and am going to hold off until I hear from you guys.

What would be a normal COL for this caliber and bullet?
I am loading for a Mod 70.

I have never used a Lee factory crimp die and any suggestions would be appreciated.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your OAL feeds from the magazine and chambers smoothly without jamming into the rifling, it's fine. Develop your charge normally and enjoy it.

Best suggestion for the FCD is to use it according to the directions.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dog Man:

I load to 3.340 for my custom Mauser .458WM I have only used North Fork 450 grain Cup points amd GS Custom 450 grain Flat Nose Solids. These are driving band bullets and I can easily get 2250fps MV with no powder compaction. I use AA2230 and H-4198. I have heard Reloader 7 is good but I really like AA 2230. I use Winchester cases and Fed 215 primers.

I always use a Lee Factory Crimp die for this round. While it would be nice to crimp in the groove, the FCD gives a good grip and smooths out the case. Besides very good accuracy at 3.340 COL another reason I load to factory length is that my hunting partner also has a .458WM and our ammo is interchangeable in the event of lost luggage, etc. I also leave behind my unfired .458 and .375 ammo for my PH and factory length eliminates feeding issues.

The new Hornady DGS and DGX are getting very good results. Do a search on this forum, "Big Bores" and maybe "African Hunting" for more .458WM info.

Also, I would suggest you try AA 2230.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Go to:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4911043/m/3971076231

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36896 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote