New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Hand loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some advice, I have a Rem 700 VS with a 1-12 twist barrel. I'm having trouble getting it to punch paper to my likeing. I get 2 shot groups in the .25" size and the third shot is strung vertically about an inch away. I am using H380 and shooting 50g bullets. I've got the 50g Barnes VLC's, Hornady Vmax's, and Sierra varmiters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Is it just this load or all loads? You might want to try this bullet with another powder combination and bullet weights to see if you have the same issue. If the problem persists, then you can look at bedding and other issues. It's difficult to extract a conclusion from one load.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried varget, but not with much better results. I'm going to try a bunch of different loads today with it. The VS is completly free floating. Cold barrel shots seem to be very accurate, its just the "group" shots that are suffering. I like the H380 for metering and for the slower burn because of the 26" barrel but if its not going to perform I'll have to look elsewhere.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 55 grain bullets with H380 36-38 grains and magnum primers. Works in almost any .22-250. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Try another bullet weight. My favorite is RP Nickle Brass, 55g Hornady SP, CCI BR-2 primer & 39.5g of AA 2700, OAL 2.37". As always start low & work up. Geo's load is a good one too. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your strings are virtical it might be a bedding problem. My Rem 700 VLS likes the barns varmenter or Sieara varminters with 35gr IMR 4064 or RL 15 with 35.8gr. I hade a 222 that did what you are talking about and I had to work on the bedding to make it shoot so don't just look at your loads.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote