Find
Notify
Tools

New Press
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted
Night before last Fed Ex delivered a birthday present to me from me in the form of a new CH4D No. 444 4 station press. Have not had any time to check it out, but it seems to be very well made. I also ordered a set of CH4D small base dies for my 30-06. Very nice dies.

Anyone have one fo these presses?

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice! Looks pretty heavy duty!

Cheers,

George

Posts: 9 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I picked mine up at CH in 2010 and really like it for small jobs. However, the primer system is finicky and I don't know if I care for it or not.

You need a decent powder measure. If you can afford it, the Quick-Measure pictured at the right has an optional attachment that should allow it to be used w/ this press or any progressive and would greatly speed-up the process.

Two suggestions for correct use:

1. Make sure the base plate is perfectly flat and all 4-bolts have the same tension so it remains flat, otherwise you will feel some binding when raising the shell-plate.

2. When FL resizing, always use the rear middle station.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adamhunter,

How do you like your new CH press? I have been looking at those myself.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Impala,
So far I like it alot. I have not done any serious loading on it though, maybe 40 rounds of 270 is all. Took a little bit of trial & error to get the primer seater adjusted right. It is a very smooth press though. I turned my 6yr old son loose FL sizing a bunch of 30-06 brass and he had no problems. He normally struggles some FL sizing on my old Lee cast press.
I weigh every charge so I dont have a powder measure set up like Kevin does in his pic, so I doubt I will use it to its full potential as far as speed goes. I think you will like it if you get one!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Adamhunter!!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote