Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Setting up chronograph
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted
Lonnie, I have mine set for 2 ft spacing. That gives you very good accuracy and everything fits into the case with no strain. The 4 ft. bar is not a problem to deal with. Congratulations on choosing Oehler. I've had mine going on 10 years now and IMO it is the best going. I know their service after the sale is the best. Mine has been back to Oehler twice for upgrades and it hasn't cost me a dime yet. If you have occasion to give them a call with a question you will be delighted to find that you are actually speaking a form of English (Texican) that is relatively easy to understand and your call will not be routed out of the country!! Thats a big plus in my book. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got around to getting myself a good chronograph, an Oehler 35P Ordered it from Oehler today, so should be here next week.
My question is this: How far apart do you like to set the 3 screens? Any other advise or hints about set up and use would be more than welcome.

Thanks, Lonnie

Posts: 37 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had my 35P for several years. It's got the 2 foot rail and 3 skyscreens and doesn't have a printer. The longer rail is supposed to be a "little" more accurate. Accuracy with a 4 ft. rail is + or minus a few feet per second less than a 2 foot rail. Info about spacing is in the instructions. The 2 foot rail is perfect for me. There are dip switches on the unit to set for different screen spacings. One piece of advice is: when shooting through the skyscreens with a scoped firearm, turn the variable scope to its lowest setting and you'll be able to see the outline of the screens. It can save you from hitting a skyscreen. I've shot everything through it from a BB Gun, arrows, shotgun, and up to a 50 BMG rifle. It's a good unit. I taped all my cables together to keep them neat and preventing a tangle. I used a magic marker to color code the cable at the skyscreen and at the plugs on the cables. Green for first screen, black for middle screen, and red for the third "stop" screen. Makes for a quicker setup. I use a cheap camera tripod for mine and you may need to weigh the feet down with sandbags or something in windy conditions or possibly when shooting a gun with a large muzzle blast. It could prevent damage if the tripod were to blow over.