New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Factory ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friend just got a savage 22-250 varmit rig to get started shooting he got a box of Hornady 55gr VMax. After shooting a few we were noticing that the bolt opened hard the primer was filling the hole primer pocket & the brass was buldging a the base. Switched ammo and problem went away. I was supprised to see this with factory ammo have any of you seen this before?

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sure, Win 7mm Rem mag ammo does that in my Win Model 70. Hornady shoots fine though.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too, Winchester Supreme ammo does it. Everything else shoots fine.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I got some 22-250 winchester varmit shells from walmart the other day, they have 45 grain bullets. they say 4000 feet/sec on the box and i believe it. These where noticeably hotter loads and exibited some of the things you talked about, I immediatly knew these shells where hot by the recoil alone

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
most factory loads are hotter than what I load to, if you go by primer splatter and case expansion...

jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall now, a lot of Win Supreme 52gr in 22-250 that was very hot in my Savage.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote