Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon Youth Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.htm

There are some good loads here for the oft asked question about reduced loads for a kid. The tremendous appeal is that it is nigh impossible to double charge.

Concerned about the ambiguity of the advice para I had the following e mail correspondance with Hodgdon.

Question 'I want to make a youth load using the nosler 55gr ballistic tip in 6mm
rem. As far as I can see your youth loads are of the order of 75% charge
weights of H4895. Would it be safe to take the Nosler H4895 data and multiply by 75% for a
mild load?'

Answer 'Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. data for the 6mm Remington w/ a 55gr.
bullet & H4895 lists a max. load of 45.5 grs. @ 4115 fps. You may reduce
that either 60% or 75%.

Mike Daly
Director of Customer Service'

Question 'Many thanks for the prompt response. Would these be tested loads or is
H4895 completely immune from 'flashover' or detonation?'

Answer Yes.

Mike Daly
Director of Customer Service

Should make a fun plinking round if accurate. Wonder if it might be rather dirty at these 30,000cup pressures?

[ 09-25-2002, 12:03: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 1894, An excellent post. I'll kick it back up for you.

Just went to your link and copied the following from the Hodgdon site:

For all cartridges we chose H4895 because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly at reduced charges. For years, H4895 has been the top choice by cast bullet shooters. For this type shooting, loads are reduced even more than the hunting loads listed herein. To create loads of this type for target and plinking, we recommend our 60% rule with H4895. By taking the maximum charges listed in our 27th Edition reloading manual with any given cartridge and multiplying it by 60%, the shooter can create a 1500 to 2100 fps load, depending on the bullet weight shown. This works only where H4895 is listed. Do not use H4895 in a cartridge where it has not been shown.

Call Hodgdon Powder Company if additional information is needed. Loads may be adjusted up or down to achieve best accuracy. Do not reduce by more than an additional 10%.

H4895 has been a long-time favorite of mine. Not sure how many 8# jugs I've been through. I've always used it near SAFE MAX and it burned relatively clean for me. But, I don't know how clean it will burn at the 60%-of-MAX level.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

I am starting to wonder about H4895 as the only powder for my;-

222rem 40/55gr
6mm rem 80/90gr
6.5x55 100gr
7x57 154gr
9.3x62 232gr

What sort of grain size/how does it meter?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 1894, It took me awhile to locate a "metric" Caliper for your information.

The H4895 grains are approximately 1mm in length and 0.75mm in diameter. They are extruded, but meter nearly as well as Ball style Powders.

H4895 can be used in an extremely large amount of cartridges. But, that doesn't mean it is "the best" powder available for top performance in all of them.

I have a 223Rem in which both H4895 and H322 provided the best accuracy using 45gr and 50gr bullets until I tried Hodgdon's Benchmark. So, your 222Rem might just like it too.

The closest I come to the other calibers you listed is a 243Win and a 7mm-08. I use slower powders in both of them, but they are not Reduced Loads as is the topic of this thread.

Good luck to you in those calibers.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote