Find
Notify
Tools

Load Data Needed- Rhino Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Anyone used the 380 grain .375H&H Rhino bullets? I have some and need some help with powder and grains to use. I don't know what to use and how much! Everything I have seen is with Somchem and I need a good comparable American powder.

What do you recommend?

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ann,
I did some checking and according to the Sonchem web site http://www.somchem.co.za/small.html
(then click on somchem reloading powders at top of page, then click on FAQ and go to last question about Hawk cartridges) they supply some of their powders to Accurate Arms. I would suggest that you check with them and see if they can tell you a match.
I assume that you are looking for a match to 64 grains of S-365 at 2200 fps that was suggested by Rhino's website.
Ann, I'm curious, could you tell me how long that bullet is?

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<wthbymag>
posted
Ann,

I had to use W760 for .375 WeM and the 380-gr. RHINO's. Another option is H414, I believe, but it is supposed to be temperature sensitive so I ignored it. Got a lot of good info from Mr. Atkinson's stream of postings the past few years. Couldn't get enough IMR 4350 to get above 2200 fps. BTW, I crimp at the cannelure.

Winchester brass (.375 H&H fireformed to .375 WeM)

CCI 250 primer

W760 from 73 grains to 76 grains gave good groups, but the neck split on 76 grains and I settled for 75 grains -- 2425 fps.
Try 70 grains to 73 grains for .375 H&H. I've found max. H&H loads (published info only!)to be a safe starting point for my .375 WeM.

A guy named Bill Isenbarger finally got ATF'd and has a supply of 380-grainers plus some 350-grainers. Took 13 months for red tape, and he is getting another order together, including some .416 offerings. (See post at African Hunting).

I have 350-grain loadings also worked up around Woodleighs, which I anticipate being similar to RHINO's in result. Having said all the above, Barnes data can also apply to RHINO's ( in general) from what I found in comparing it to Somchem data -- theirs is in the back part of my 1997 data pamphlet a la Hodgdon paperback approach to a shorty version of a loadbook.

Alles van die beste (from Clute, TX!)

wthbymag

one of us
posted Hide Post
I came up with 66 grs. of RL 15 with the 350 Woodleigh, based on this I would start with 60 grs. of RL-15 for the 380 gr. bullet and work up from there....This is what one has to do when dealing with unknown calibers and bullets..Wildcatters did this for years, until the ran out of wildcats...

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote