Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

. 308 win./110 gr. help
 Login/Join

posted
i am puzzled, and need help. i have reloaded all my life, but the 110 gr bullets in the .308 leave so much JUMP to the lands that @ 100 yds, the accuracy goes all to hell. i COL ed the length of the shell, and even just inserting 1/2 the dia. of the bullet, the bullet jumps .030. i'm using the spitzer 110 over w-748 @ 47 gr. and it brings the powder to the base of the neck, which i like. @ 50 yds, it is 3/4 inch, but @ 100 yds it spreds out to 10 inch, how can it be ?? i went to 150 gr and put it over imr4064 and it settles down to 2-3 inch pattern. any thoughts would be appreciated.. jc

Posts: 4 | Location: plains of co. | Registered: 11 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which 110gr bullet? Not all 110gr bullets are equal.

Some bullets just don't like certain powders. Also, remember that ball powders like Magnum primers.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 110gr Sierra and experienced the same accuracy difficulty. I switched to 125gr Bal Tips over 49.5gr of Varget and it's a 5 shot all touching at 100yds.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set the bullet base 100% in the neck and use a faster powder.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25-06 with a 1 in 10" twist that loves the Hornady 75 gr. HP. These bullets are so short that they don't come anywhere close to the lands. This is to say it is possible to find a combination that will work.

My suggestion is to give Barnes a try. Their solid copper bullets are usually longer for a given weight which will offer better accuracy OAL.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked in two loading manuals and 47gr of 748 is below the starting load for 110gr bullets for the 308[except for the Speer 110 Varminter bullet].

I would seat the bullet deeper in the case and work up, looking for the best accuracy while checking pressure signs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no way to go from 3/4" at 50 yds to 10" at 100 yds unless the bullets are tumbling or spinning in non-typical ways. I don't think this would be caused by jump to the lands. In My opinion, .030" is not that much. I have a rifle that needs .100" to fit in the magazine and it hovers around MOA with many loads one of which is 52 grains of 748 under a 125 gr bullet. Push that little pill a little faster and it may do better. As someone said, use magnum primers also. good luck

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote