New
Find
Notify
Tools

120 grain Remington acru tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have beed trying to find a place that carries the Remington 260 (.264 ) Remington acrutip bullets. Tried Midway and a few others. Smiler

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll get your hands on them anytime soon. I was at Bass Pro Shops and met with 3 Remington reps last year and we discussed this.

The statements made about the accutip are these:

1) it is made by Hornady
2) it is identical to the SST
3) the only difference is the color of the tip.

I have no idea if it is true or not but the rep blurted this out like he knew the question was coming.

It's been about 2-3 years ago now when Remington and Nosler cut ties. So, I'm confident that it is not a btip.

Have you been able to find any accutips in any caliber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same as doc on more than one occasion: Rem Accutip is the Hornady SST with a different coloured tip!

Personally never used the accutip but have used the SST it provided similar performance as NBT but IME&O the NBT is less devasting, contrary to what Hornady market! My reason was bigger holes, more bloodshot and in one case the opposite shoulder on large bodied wt buck was darn near plucked off(only a small piece of hide on the top portion held it on). Don't get me wrong it worked fine but I saw no reason to pick it over the NBT for my needs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerYeah understand about the missing parts of a deer when using SSTs, etc. Think I will go with the Sierra flat base 120 grain pro-hunter. I need to work up a good accrute load in my .260 and plan to hunt with it this year. I know from experience in the old 30/06 that I don't want to use Nosler ballistic tips. Need to get home with as much deer as possible! Any suggestions of other good 120 grain hunting bullets for the 260?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
YEP!

NEW .264" 120 gr. TSX BT, SD.246 ,BC .441

Barnes Triple Shock.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blob,

I am, sure Louisiana deer are no bigger than Oregon Blacktail.... I have had excellent success with the plain old 100 grain bullets in the 260, with 43.5 grains of IMR 4064, I get an MV of 3350 fps out of a 22 inch barrel Ruger, and the cheap 100 grain Hornady SP has really impressed me with the accuracy of it... in 3 different 6.5 mm calibers....

It has proven more accurate consistently than the Ballistic Tips, etc....

Recoil was low enough I watched deer drop in the scopes site picture and 2 have been taken at 300 yds, and one at about 100 yds.... All instant straight down kills!

It will give you anything a 120 grain will in a 260!

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI was wondering about the 100 grain bullet. The deer where I hunt are not monsters like the ones I hunted when I was growing up in Western colorado and the 85 grain 243 works well on them. Shot placement is the key anyway. I use IMR 4064 quite abit and just bought 2 pounds of it so just might look into the 100 grain SP!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blob!:

I think you will like the results of the 100 grainers, and 4064 is " the powder" in mine...

My 2 Rugers like 43.5 grains and my Rem 700 VLS seems to like 43 grains for best accuracy....
The Hornady SP or the Partition will penetrate thru any deer, unless the 'future' sent back one of those "Terminator Deer" to give Arny A hand!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks sea fire. I am going to order some bullets today. How deep do you seat your hunting bullets and what kind of 100 yard groups do you shoot. Also what cases and primers do you use? I will be loading for my Ruger MK-77 Mark 2 SS .260.