Find
Notify
Tools

7mm, 120 gr. BOAT tail ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted
I've looked high and I've looked low, but for the life of me, I CANNOT find a .284, 120 gr. boat tail bullet for my 7mm TCU. [Mad]

I want it to be copper-jacketed; HP or FMJ is preferred; SP, BT OK.

Does ANYBODY know of a source for these buggers?? [Confused]

Thanks.

[ 10-17-2002, 20:42: Message edited by: Dino32HR ]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I know it is not a fmj or a hp, but have you tried the nosler BT or the hornady ssp or for softer and light weight stuff the hornady 120gr flat base HP. The last is a great perfromer in my 10 inch 7tcu, but is too soft for anything bigger than fox. The orginal Hornady ssp with the non-plastic tip was a great deer bullet and the nosler and the hornady sst are also good deer and down sized bullets. I am assuming you are punching paper since the fmj looking, try the nosler. It behaves like a hp and has a boattail and tend to shoot well.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Barnes has a 120 XBT,that is the 120 I could find.Hope this helps out.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<eldeguello>
posted
I used to use the Nosler 120-grain solid base boattail (SBBT) for a deer load in a 7X57mm mauser (3100+ FPS). It was too destructive!! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
I used to use the Nosler 120-grain solid base boattail (SBBT) for a deer load in a 7X57mm mauser (3100+ FPS). It was too destructive!! [Big Grin]

But I've heard good reports on this bullet used in 7mm TCU and 7-30 Waters.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yes, it would probably be much better at those velocities.

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
All -

Thank you for your input. I should have been more specific of my intended use. The 120 gr'ers are for IHMSA Big Bore, for use on the chickens, pigs & turkeys. I have a 139 gr. Hornady boat tail for the rams. So - no considerations are necessary as far as killing power, or whether the manufacturer classifies them as a hunting bullet or not - memories of the Match King discussion ! [Wink]

I JUST shot some of the Sierra 120 gr. flat-base SP's (Sierra # 1900 - I think) yesterday. First time I ever made the 120's. Tried several iterations and got good results with 16.5 gr. of H4227, CCI 400 primer, Federal brass. 17 gr's of H4227 was a bit too hot as I was exceeding 1900 fps with a 10" barrel ands started to see some evidence of cratering on the primer. 16.5 grains gave me sub-1/2" group @ 50 yards.

First - The reason I want to use boattails is a selfish one - THEY'RE EASIER TO LOAD. My RCBS seating die doesn't give you any room or opportunity to keep the bullet straight on the brass as it begins to seat - it's too far in the die to hold it. I just switched to 139 gr boattails and they are a dream ! [Big Grin] Go in nice and smooth. I just tend to cringe [Eek!] when I hear or feel the base of the bullet catching on the mouth of the case because it is not in perfect alignment. And yes - I do slightly chamfer the case mouth.

Second - I'm cheap, uh - I mean I work hard to control my costs, yeah, that's it ! [Wink] I really can't afford to spend big bucks on Nosler or Barnes projectiles for knockin' down steel. If I was using it on game and looking for that one-shot kill, I would absolutley buy the best. Can I justify a premium bullet for shooting steel? Shooting 100 a month or so? No.

After looking into the cost of using the 120's long term, in the volume I'll be needing, I'm now looking for some hard-cast lead, gas-checked bullets in this size & weight. No luck yet, but I'm not done looking.

Thanks (once again) to you all for your responses and input. Appreciate it greatly ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote