THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    376 Steyr and Vihtavuori / Norma reloading data.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

376 Steyr and Vihtavuori / Norma reloading data.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kaldevass
posted
L & G,

I am starting to build loads for this and I wonder if any of you have load data for this cartridge with Vihtavuori or Norma powders.

Thanks
Glen

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Posts: 38 | Location: Bergen Norway | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I have few my own loads for Hornady 270gr SP with N540 and for Hornady 300gr RN and Norma Oryx 300gr with N550. I have measured speeds with Chrony M-1.

Posts: 8 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Okay. Here is something for start:

Hornady 270SP WLRM N540 61,0gr 78,95mm 743mps/2438fps

Norma Oryx 300gr WLRM N550 63,5gr 79,00mm 704mps/2310fps

My loads for next season are little stronger.

Posts: 8 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have reloading data for Vihtavuori or Norma powders .......sorry, but I have approved data for IMR 4895. Don't know if you can get it, but if so, you would probably have the best performing powder for this wonderful cartridge.

250 grs Swift A-Frame, 65 grs IMR 4895, Fed.215, OAL= 78mm, 796 m/s, 3516 bar. This load is approved and confirmed by the authority.

Close to the fact that with this load I had so low pressure, I developped another load, which is absolutely safe in my rifle (Steyr Pro-Hunter Mountain), no pressure signs at all...... so,...herer we go:

69 grains of IMR 4895, same specification as above.... gives me chronoed 871 m/s.....
As usual..... safe in my rifle, load up carefully. Really a hot load but performance is fantastic! Love the A-Frames! I see no need to go up in bullet weight, everything I shot (up to big red stag with life weight of about 300 kg!) went down easily and dropped in its tracks. Bang flops! Bullet performance at it's best! Never recovered one bullet...

Good Luck,

Gerry