New
Find
Notify
Tools

priming tools
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just wore out my 2nd RCBS priming tool and wonder if any of you can suggest an improvement.

Thanks.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worn out several tools.

Just means you are reloading a lot.

Buy another and move on.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been using the RCBS AUTO PRIME tool for so many years, and I am not sure many of you reload as much as us.

Still going strong.

Only thing I ever do is clean the aluminum arm at the bottom that pushes the primer in.

It tends to develop a thin dark film, probably wear.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Lee priming tools for decades. I started with the original single load model then switched to the round tray version when it became available. I tried the square tray version but didn't care for it; I've kept my round tray model going by finding used components for it but there is a finite lifespan for plastic.

I'm curious what others are using, if there is something better out there I'm always interested in upgrading my equipment.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hogfarmer, my old Lee round-tray is so worn the lid just falls off. Can't bring myself to replace this trusted friend...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have used, and broken, several hand priming tools from different makers.

The one we use now is bench mounted.

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used the Lyman E-ZEE Prime tools for years but as they wore out the new ones were not that good. Switched to RCBS Universal hand priming tools and like them so much I got two so to have separate large/small tools. Worked well for a long time. Then thought I'd upgrade to the RCBS Auto Bench tool. Big mistake, even bigger mistake was selling the two Universals. The Auto Bench is poorly made with the parts and shell holder binding. RCBS was good about replacing parts though. Still using CAREFULLY. Also have a Frankfort Arsenal Platinum for range loading. Seems to work well for the little I reload at the range.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Used the Lyman E-ZEE Prime tools for years but as they wore out the new ones were not that good. Switched to RCBS Universal hand priming tools and like them so much I got two so to have separate large/small tools. Worked well for a long time. Then thought I'd upgrade to the RCBS Auto Bench tool. Big mistake, even bigger mistake was selling the two Universals. The Auto Bench is poorly made with the parts and shell holder binding. RCBS was good about replacing parts though. Still using CAREFULLY. Also have a Frankfort Arsenal Platinum for range loading. Seems to work well for the little I reload at the range.

Very sorry to hear this.

Ours has been in use, continuously, for many years.

At a guess I am sure it has primed over 100,000 cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Hogfarmer, my old Lee round-tray is so worn the lid just falls off. Can't bring myself to replace this trusted friend...

Know the feeling well, as I'm now 70 there's a good chance I won't outlast it like I used to think I would.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Know the feeling well, as I'm now 70 there's a good chance I won't outlast it like I used to think I would.

Get these silly ideas out of your head!

Me and brother Don - DRG here - have promised each other we will celebrate our 100th birth together! clap

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
bench mounted Forster (not great, funky universal shellholder)

I use the press for most rifle, it already came with all the accoutrements :-)

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 83, and with me it's not how long I'll live but how long I can continue hunting. I've got deer and pig tags and I'm headed for Namibia in May.
Life could be worse.

But if I can't get another priming tool soon all will collapse.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pushing 83 and hunting, most fishing, golf, and even walking very far are memories. Can't quit shooting but limited to bench rifles and sitting at pistol range. I have been, and continue to, empty the safe and reloading room.

Don't feel sorry for me, God has given me a rich full life, good children and wonderful wife (and some good dogs along the way).

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IM almost 89 and on my second RCBS bench tool and the first one is still working as it was easy to fix by replacing some parts...Dont care for hand priming tools..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
89? You're a real geezer. I'm still a whippersnapper! And when God made sage rats, he was thinking of us.

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
posted Hide Post
I lied! my storm and strife sez Im 88 until jan 10th

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's easy to forget your age wen you get old. Heck, I sometimes forget here I live, mostly on Fri nite.

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
This is great, @ 62 you guys are making me feel like a youngster. Maybe I got a few good hunting years left in me after all. old

I use an old round Lee unit too. The new ones look pretty cheesy.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born at an early age----so I'm older than I look! Confused

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 62? You're REALLY a whippersnapper!

jmbn
Old and in the way