THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is Accurate 4350 much slower than the other 4350s?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Accurate 4350 much slower than the other 4350s?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some Accurate 4350 powder a while back since it is somewhat cheaper than the other (my heritage was showing). In virtually everything I have used it in, ie.; 270 Win. 300WSM, 375 H&H, I seem to be using 2 grains more than I do with H4350 to get the same velocity. My data shows it to be right behind IMR and H4350 in burn rate. What I have seems to be a tadd bit faster than my RL-19. The accuracy is good if not great. Has anyone else experienced this or did I get and off base lot of powder?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made the same observation about burning rate as you. I had a pretty nice load that I used in a 6mm Rem. 44 grains with a 100 grain bullet. It was accurate and it shot flat so I chronographed it one day - 3003 FPS and pressure looked like factory ammo.

It once sold for $12/lb when Dupont was $18.
Since it is now close to IMR in price I quit using it since those powders seem to be coming from all over the globe.
I have their powder from Israel, Czech Republic and China. Lot to lot variations are bad enough if it came from one place, that is except China.
I know too much about China. No more China powder for me.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a couple of cases back when Widener's ran a special on it. I'm still shooting it and have found it to be slower burning than either IMR or H4350. My experience with it is similar to yours. I love the stuff. It gives me top velocities in the guns I've tried it in and great accuracy to boot. I don't have any plans on purchasing any more since it has moved up in price. Back when I stocked up at the sale price, it was $15-20 cheaper by the 8 lb. jug compared to H4350 with IMR 4350 costing even more than Hodgdon's.

Kevin

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Years ago Natchez had AA4350 on sale for $64 for an 8 pound container. I bought one and found that it was very close to to IMR4350 in my 30-06.

As I was running low about a year later it again went on sale for $68. I purchased 16 pounds. By far the best value in powder I have ever seen.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found it to be great powder, no more in-consistent lot to lot than any other brand.

I buy the best buy when low on powder and get several jugs of the same lot, so there will be no load changes until that purchase runs out.

I used to use 4831, but the last time I needed slow powder, 4350 was the best buy. Still have 4-8LB jugs to use up befor I need to look again.

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 20 lbs of AA4350 while back and also have found it to be a very good powder. I have tested loads of it side by side against the one lot of IMR4350 I still had. I use two 30-06 rifles both with 24" barrels (M70 Classic Sporter and a Husky M98 with an A&B barrel). Both rifles had fewer than 400 rounds through them. I used WW cases, WLR primers and Hornady 180 gr SPBTs. Velocity and pressure measurements were taken with an Oehler M43 PBL.

I actually found the AA4350 to be ever so slightly faster than the IMR4350 based on a equal charge to charge comparison of velocity and pressure results. The results were consistent in both rifles. That is a test of only one lot per powder and simply shows both are probably pretty much within standard lot to lot variation.

I did find the AA4350 to be slightly more accurate than the IMR4350. However I must admit that the difference would make little difference in the field hunting big game. I would use either powder to hunt with.

My hunting rifle is the M70 Classic Sporter with a Ziess 3x9 Conquest mounted on it. The load of 56 gr of the AA4350 (pretty much the "classic" load) pushes the 180 Hornady at 2690 fps with 57,500 psi(M43). For the test I shot a 10 shot string with the first 5 going into 1.05" and all 10 into 1.3" at 100 yards. The same load only with IMR4350 produced 2757 fps with 60,700 psi(m43). The first 5 shots went into 1.4" and the 10 shots went into 1.65" at 100 yards. Dropping the IMR load back to 55.5 grains then equals the AA4350 psi and velocity but not quite the accuracy. This shows the IMR is slightly faster burning than the AA 4350. At least for the two lots tested.

AA4350 also is a very fine powder for pushing velocity with accuracy of cast bullets of 170-220 gr in the .308W and 30-06 cartridges.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Hey I don't want and don't mean to high jack this thread, but. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Accurate 3100? I just picked up 2 bottles for a whopping 25 bucks each. I just would like someone who has worked with them to make a quick post or PM me. With what they think or tips warnings or what ever.
Thanks.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
AA 3100 which used to be MR 3100 is a very nice slow powder. I have used in: 260 Remington, 30-06, 338 Win Mag all with complete success.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears from the few post here that my G-Smith was right on the mark when he said that Accurate powder was a surplus powder. It appears to me that it is somewhat in-consitant, assuming everyone has bought it in the past several years. Knock on wood, but I have not ever found Hodgen 4350 to be in-consistant over the past 15 years I have used it. Maybe just luck, since I have heard other complain about it.
(H-380 has varied some but I believe it is due to temperature more than mix).
(

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote