New
Find
Notify
Tools

spotting scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bausch and Lomb ELITE(spotting scope) 20X60X80mm(mfg# 62-0080) is it a good one compare quality price to 15X45X60mmm/20X60X70mm.I want getting a good one for a long time...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Western hunter you need your "EYES" - the sharper the better. Hence, I'm willing to spend big bucks for the best eye help I can afford. I save and get Swarovski optics - 10x50mm binos, their latest HD spotting scope, and the new 1000 yd plus range finder. Swarovski is expensive, but worth every penny!

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Spotting scopes:

I have four...a cheap Bushnell 20-60x60, a cheap Tasco 20-6x-x60, a Nikon 15-45x60 and a Leupold 12-40x60.

The Tasco and the Bushnell are crap. The best is the Leupold.

Binoculars:
Nikon 10x42 and Leupold 10x42...the Leupold is my favorite. I used to have a pair of Bushnell 12x50, but they got given away to someone who liked them.

I don't use rangefinders...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, based on personal experience...but field optics with magnifications much above 25x or 30x are almost counter productive due to vibration, mirage, etc. On even a moderately warm day they’re like looking through a shower door...and if you are in contact with the scope at all your breathing and heart beat will cause very visible bouncing of the viewed image.

I was recently out in the Mojave Desert just north of 29 Palms Marine base (where you can see forever!) and my 20x54mm Unertl spotting scope could clearly spot things at long distances that my friends 20x40-60mm could not at the 40x setting, due to wind and the mirage.

Just something you might want to consider when making a choice.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the B&L 15-45 Elite on several hunts, most noteable were two sheep hunts in Alaska. Both of these hunts we packed in after being droped off in the 'area' so small and compact was a requirement. I think the 45X top end is plenty of magnification, we could have only used more early in the morning before the heat would caused mirage and made the extra magnification useless. With that said, my Brother-In-Law and sheep hunting partner is just chomping at the bit to get one that goes to 60X and has 70-80mm objective, he can pack it I'm not. I agree the the Lieca or Swarovski are the best, but I would only use them if I wasn't packing them, not to mention trying to explain the need for a $2000.00 animal spotter to my wife.

Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote