New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press advice for big bore cartridges
 Login/Join

<shiflan>
posted
I'm looking to buy a reloading press for use with big-bore calibers. I already have a Dillon that I use with .45 ACP and .454 Casull pistol bullets. This press doesn't need to be fancy, but I need a big, tough, press.

I need it for .50 BMG, State Arms .50/.375 Mach 5, and .600 Nitro Express.

I'd appreciate any recommendations I can get. Thanks.

Allan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding Ultramag. I love mine.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<shiflan>
posted
The redding looks great but is too small for .50 BMG.

Any other ideas?

shiflan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, use a Redding UltraMag and love it.

For the .50 BMG, however, I think you will need the RCBS AmmoMaster. It has another inch or so in the frame opening. The UltraMag opening is 4.75" while the RCBS allows for nearly 6" I believe.

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BMG>
posted
I have the Ammomaster for the BMG and it works well. Another choice is the Hornady press, however both are VERY similar. Some like the RCBS and some like the Hornady, for the most part it's a toss up.

I have a couple of BMG's and have a .510/460 Long at the smiths. Do you have all three of these calibers? I know a guy who has a Mach 5 & a few BMG's but not the 600 NE.

<shiflan>
posted
Thanks for the info.

I have a Mach 5 on order from State Arms through my local gun dealer. I'm expecting to get it in about a week or so, and I can't wait to shoot it. Unlike the normal Mach 5 on the web site, I had mine built like his "competitor" .50 BMG, on the metal stock with the pistol-style grip, jewell trigger, etc. I'm sure it'll be a monster (39" bull barrel + 7" long 2" diameter fishgill muzzlebrake), but I don't intend on carrying it around too much so that won't be an issue.

I expect to be purchasing a .50 BMG in the near future as well. They're a blast to shoot. I figure that since I have all the supplies for the Mach 5, it's a simple matter to get an extra set of dies and load up the .50. I'm not really sure what .50 I want though.

The .600 is for a friend, though I'd love to have one if I could afford it. There's just something about those british doubles...

shiflan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my new Old Western Scrounger catalog and was surprised to find that the Rock Crusher is still in production; $795.00.
Dies and shellholders are also available for some of the larger cases including 12.5 and 12.7 Russian, I think five different 20mm, 23mm Russian, as well as the .55 Boyes and .50 Browning.
He has some 50mm Krupp bullets for reloading too.
If RCBS's new Ammomaster won't, perhaps this will.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross
{Running that through spellcheck was a hoot!}

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the RCBS single stage Ammomaster for several years now, and I wouldn't have any other press for big bore rifles...I don't load 50 MG's and never will but its designed to do so...It is the berrys for the big double rifles and you have room to work in there...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as you are talking big presses, does anyone know if the old Hollywood Turret tool will digest the .50 Browning? I don't have either, but a guy here has an old Hollywood tool for sale and who knows what could come down the road?
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CGB,
My Hollywood turrets are right at 4". The Seniors range between 3-7/8" and 4�".
Some Hollywood presses have only 7/8" die holes.
RCBS A Presses range from 3�" to 4"
The Big Max A-4 has a 4�" and the B has a 3�" opening.
I note that There are variations that may be enhanced with a bit of judicious tinkering with the linkage.
I measured from the bottom of the shellholder to the underside of the casting with the ram or slide fully down.
I don't have one yet, but the AmmoMaster looks better every day.
Regards from smokey California,
Ross
You won't believe what the spell check wanted me to do to shellholder.

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old Hollywood will just barely take a 300 H&H, but I do love that old beast, it is the cream of the crop in presses...Also it won't take anything but standard dies. that is why I purchased my RCBS Ammomanster single stage press...For the big doubles.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote