THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300RUM COL 150gr TSX , start ? off the lands?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody got any thoughts on where i should start with the 308 TSX 150gr? I don't really want to have the bullet up to the lands I have read time and again that this can cause a dangerous pressure spike. Anybody have any experiences with this bullet? 10 thou off? 20, 30? [Confused]

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Barnes say to seat regular X's .050" off, but I've heard no reccomendations from them regarding the TSX. I tried .020" off when I loaded them. (not a 300 rum)
 -

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorthSniper:
Anybody got any thoughts on where i should start with the 308 TSX 150gr? I don't really want to have the bullet up to the lands I have read time and again that this can cause a dangerous pressure spike. Anybody have any experiences with this bullet? 10 thou off? 20, 30? [Confused]

I would start about .050 off the lands, as Barnes recommends.
See how she shoots, and move it closer, (.010) if it will shoot for you.
Some folks have had a real bad time with Barnes X bullets. Each rifle is differant, so try it at .050, and go from there.
You will be able to tell if it likes them or not at .050.
Go closer if it shoots around a inch or so at 100 yds...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the 180 gr TSX .060 off the lands and getting 1/2MOA from my Win Model 70 300 WSM.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
All of you guys must not have much freebore in your 300RUM's. Only bullet I can even think of reaching the lands is 200gr flatbases. For me to reach the lands on my 300RUM with 200gr accubonds, I have to be able to load to 3.82" COL.

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
just to clear the magazine and chamber opening in my sako 300 rum. is 3.700" maximum.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
For me its 3.64" COL. I once went on this quest measuring the throat length of factory remington 300RUM's. So I went to a few different gunshops with my stoneypoint and a few numbered bullets. I couldn't believe how much they varied. from 3.75" to 3.92" with 180gr Nosler Partitions.