New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power for electronic scales?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am currently using a little Hornady digital scale after going through a Midway and a Lyman, both of which malfunctioned and had to be returned.

My gripe is that the battery doesn't last very long, and those little 9v batteries are pretty expensive.

There is a port for, I believe a 12v adaptor.
Can I just go out and by an AC12v adaptor or should it come from Hornady?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it runs off a 9-volt battery, then it's likely the power supply should be 9-volt. It should state this somewhere on the outside, and probably near the port. But, a converter from Radio Shack will work as well as any other. Just be sure to get the correct voltage and enough amperage (too much amperage is not a problem).

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you are right about there being a discrepancy with the voltage...
I don't have it in front of me, but from memory on the booklet it said a 12v adapter is required.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
At Midway:

Product #: 152148
Manufacturer #: 050001
Our Price: $8.96

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lock, Stock, & Barrel

$8.75
http://www.lockstock.com

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will have to disagree with bugs comments.
If it is a 9v the adapter may very well be a 12volt as the scale may have dual source adaptation. Secondly, though most adapters of this nature have a i-out measured in mA, it is possible to buy an adapter that of 12 volts that has 3 amps to it. This would not be a good thing for the led and related solid state devices it may have.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the MA rating had to match as well?

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the MA rating had to match as well?

I also thought MA needed to match up, since most power adapters have the MA rating stated on them. Also you need to make sure of the correct +/- layout on the plug to the scale, positive is usually inside with Negative on the outer part of the plug. Somoen correct me if I am wrong. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found using a switched tap at the receptacle handy; it shuts the transformer down between uses.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ma. available needs be equal to or greater than required by the scale. Voltage and polarity must match, or POOF goes the components. [Eek!]

Posts: 61 | Location: Stockholm, N.J., USA | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS electronic powder dispenser and scales (made by PACT, I believe). The AC adaptors are different, and the appliances come with a warning to use the proper adaptor or damage could occur.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
These 12V adaptors are only rectified, not stabilised, so if there is stabilisator inside scales, it could need higher voltage to work properly . . .

Jiri

Posts: 2104 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote