New
Find
Notify
Tools

327 mag dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought my wife a new Ruger 327 but i haven't been able to find any 327 dies. If i just use the dies for a 32 H&R mag will they be long enough for a 327 mag?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since the 32mag is shorter, you wouldn't full length size the 327 case. however until you can find dies it should work out for a loading or 2

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S&W-Varminator:
I just bought my wife a new Ruger 327 but i haven't been able to find any 327 dies. If i just use the dies for a 32 H&R mag will they be long enough for a 327 mag?

That depends on the size of the decapping pin assembly hole in your sizing die. If it is larger than the diameter of the .32 case, then yes, you can use either the .32 H&R OR the .32 S&W Long sizing die to do your .327 sizing.

Just pull the decapping assembly out of the sizing die and use the die in your press without that assembly. (This only works for "straight" cases, not bottle-necked ones.)

For that matter, you could make a "make-shift" die by boring/lapping a hole of the right diameter in a piece of 1/4" iron or steel plate, or end-wise into a metal rod, and then driving the brass in with a plastic hammer or an arbor press.

You'd have to use a piece of delrin rod or something of that sort to knock the sized brass out, which would be slower than working with a real die in a press, but it would work fine. A Lee small-rifle primer decapping hand-punch would work even better for removing the brass from the make-shift die, and would decap the case as you drove it out.

The old-timers used to do that sort of thing very frequently , and it worked for them. No reason it won't for you.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled this off a discussion of the .327 Magnum.

"32 H&R Magnum reloading dies work fine. In fact, you won't find dedicated .327 Federal dies listed. Redding catalogued them initially, but dropped them as redundant to existing .32 H&R dies. The Federal case (there is a joke in there somewhere) is 1.200" long, the .32 H&R is 1.075" and they share a common case diameter of 0.337". All that is needed is a backing out the sizer die 0.125" for the Federal round. Bullet diameter is 0.312". Discarding bullets intended for the .32 ACP, there are probably a couple dozen types available."

Hope this helps. rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
but! but! but! but! the .327 Fed is so much better, more powerful, nicer, kinder, gentler, and an all round magnificent improvement on the old weak kneed .32 HRM!!!! How could it possibly be loaded with the same dies as that obsolete, lousy, no good, puny worthless .32 HRM????!!!!

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCHOUSER:
I pulled this off a discussion of the .327 Magnum.

"All that is needed is a backing out the sizer die 0.125" for the Federal round.
Hope this helps. rc

That will work IF you don't want to size the base of the case clear down to the rim. Usually sizing the whole thing is not needed, but in some guns with some loads, it is required.

If for some reason you want or need to size clear to the rim, then you need to be able to run all of the case into a die. Some dies will allow that with the decapping assembly removed, some may even do it with the decapper assembly still in place, and some MAY be a problem either way.

Because of the shell-holder a person usually can't get ALL of the case into the die (clear to the rim) in most standard presses. One CAN do it though by not putting the die into a press, and using either a vice, an arbor press, or a plastic-faced hammer to force the case into the die. And with the decapping assembly removed, he can use a plastic, brass, or other strong rod to knock the completely sized case out of the die.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 to the Alberta Canuck's statements. I can't fault a single thing he has said. I believe it to be 100% correct.

Within what is currently available since I can't full length resize, I guess I will have to go with what is available to me. (Yup, I have a pistol on order). I plan to shoot all the .32 range (the SW Short, SW long, the .32 HRM and the .327). This flexiblity was a bit of what caught my interest. Since I own a 1903 pocket pistol in .32 acp, I have an abundant supply of cast leat .32's and the molds to make more. Aww heck, no excuses. Went with the Blackhawk with the 5 inch barrel and adjustable sights. We'll just have to see. thanks rc