THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anybody miss the good old days (22 Hornet)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I load 300 RUM for LR Hunting, the 6.5s for sub-minute of angle. Each round carefully crafted. Each shot planned and taken, reviewed, and evaluated.
Where's the old days, with good enough and lots of relax.

I was looking at 100 or so fired 22 hornet casings and thinking about little gun and dog town 35's and how much fun it was to just shoot the cz hornet at almost anything.

Ok, bring out the lee collet squisher. No case lube needed and deprime 100 cases in no time to speak of. No pressure so far.

RCBS Hand primer: Drop in 100 small federal pistols. Only stress is not to overflatten the primers. Again, easy and there the little soldiers stand in the loading block. Waiting...

Ok, this may get me slapped. I rummaged around until I found my old RCBS Little Dandy. I took a # 14 drum and measured 10 throws. 12.2 even.

I can live with this. I charged 100 cases in about 200 seconds.

To the press with the Dog Town Box and a Lee seater die. In 30 minutes they are in the ammo box for this weekend.

What do you think? 12.2 gr of Lil Gun, 35 gr dogtown hp in a ww case over a Fed SP primer. Should be ok, and NO FUSS.

I feel a little guilty, but, I am going to go shoot all hundred this weekend and enjoy it.

rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you will have fun Smiler

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like it! let me know how ya group! clap

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who just dips the Hornet case in a bowl full of Lil-Gun Powder and fills the case to the top, then seats a bullet and goes shooting.
I just can't see how you can overload a Hornet with too much Lil-Gun Powder.
13.0 grains of Lil-Gun is about right for many different Hornet weight bullets in the three Hornet rifles I have. Sure is a bunch of fun shooting those loads. No recoil, good accuracy, and great for the soul..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never turn your fun into work.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Same here
13 grains of lil gun and a 40 grain hornady bullet. No fus easy to load and more fun to shoot. Dirt cheap loads too compared to over a buck a shot at some places

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rc, take your Cz to a GOOD gunsmith and have it chambered to K-Hornet dimensions! You won't regret it!

You can shoot all your full power Hornet ammo and fire form at the same time.

K-Hornet does everything the Hornet does..... but a bit better!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
300 FPS is not enough for me to convert.
Now .223 to a .220 swift thats an upgrade

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

It's also a very impractical "conversion".

While Hornet to K-Hornet is a simple inexpensive improvement.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I like the thoughts here, simple and fun. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the technology and as a friend puts it "the boomincrackinmagnumititis".

Point well made, sometimes I just go squeeze 8 grains of Unique into my 45 Colt cases and go shoot rocks or cans.

Keep the Hornet the way it is and let it keep your sanity clap

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

It's also a very impractical "conversion".

While Hornet to K-Hornet is a simple inexpensive improvement.

No it's not practical but a simple little cartridge like the hornet just should not be played with. The whole point of the conversation was how simple easy and neat that little round is. and somebody wants to "improve" it.
Lets see new dies, a chamber reamer, and possible feeding issues with a bolt rifle. No thanks I'll leave my hornet in the 1930's configuration. The jack rabbits and squirrels won't know the difference nor will they complain

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't get enough Lil Gun in a Hornet case with 50 gr and smaller bullets to be anywhere near overpressure. With the lighter bullets, Lil Gun generates very little pressure in the Hornet compared to other powders. With 55 grain bullets the pressures are comparable to other powders.

I'm shooting 12.6 grains in mine just because my initial testing showed that to be the most accurate. I bought the Hornet and sold my .17HMR when I realized I could reload the Hornet for way less money than I could buy the .17HMR ammo.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Hornet and K-Hornet is that if you have accuracy problems with Hornet, the K-version will fix it. 300 fps is a nice bonus!

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote