New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Half-Jackets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are Half-Jackets used for? I found 2 boxes of .44 cal half-jackets and don't know they are used.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Actual jackets & not bullets? Speer makes/made a SWC style SP using the half jacket for the bearing portion w/ an exposed lead nose.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred these are the half-jackets only. I need to find a good home for them. Free+ postage.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Butch, they're used for bullet swaging. (I suppose you could use them for casting, too, but finding the mould that fit them might be problematic.)

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
vers is right, they are used for swaging bullets. thanks for the offer but I don't buyllet swage. Maybe post on the bullet making forum.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Someone would be most appreciative to get the jackets for just shipping. Jackets are not cheap
and can be hard to find. I only swage 35 caliber
bullets, other wise I would like to have them.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Half-jackets go way back - to the 1950s and 1960s. Speer made a lead pistol bullet where the rear half was jacketed, kinda like an extended gas-check. They also sold the half-jackets seperately for guys who had a swadging die to make their own. The idea was to shoot the magnums like the 357, 41 and 44 at higher velocities than lubricated lead bullets. Unfortunately, the bullets leaded the bore very badly and they fell into obscurity. The half-jackets wouldn't be much good to anyone without the right dies.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaine has asked for them and he will get them. Ray you always have the right answer. I'm still getting rid of Red's stuff.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com