Tools

Did I ruin my brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I washed a batch of once fired 284 brass in Dawn to remove
the lube then put them in the oven to dry them at 350 for 45
minutes. They came out with a bluish tint. Did I destroy them?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely they are ok. Here is an extensive article on annealing:

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

One main point discussed is that the grain structure of the brass is not changed at temperatures less than 482 degrees F.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
350 degrees won't warm your brass.

What you are seeing is most likely residue from the soap. Next time rinse them with hot water before dry them.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I thank you for your insight. 284 brass isn't easy to come by.
I didn't want to lose it. I guess I thought I was baking brownies
or somthing. More than likely a senior moment!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Nope, should be fine.

I cooked a batch of Norma 3006 cases at 200C overnight once and the cases were tinted blue.

That was ten years ago and those cases are on their 7th reload. Smiler

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Water boils at 212*, so there is really no need to go higher on the oven temp, might be a bit faster, but not much!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You're O.K. while on the subject of case annealing,I have bought temperature responsive markers available at your welding supply.I've done it by eye for many years but this gets it a bit more precise.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
The brass is fine and not annealed. I dry my brass at 325F for a half hour or so.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my brass in the dish washer. Comes out clean and no lube and the heat from drying works great.

Relive your memories take a kid hunting and fishing

Posts: 153 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I temper soften knife at about that, I watch it until it turns a darkish sky blue, its hardening. Seems strange but clean my brass in a viberator cleaner..With loaded rounds I wipe them off with a paper towel after I resize them. I use very little lube and I use Imperial case wax. It wipes right off and is the best..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station