Notify
Tools

Reloading the 6.5x53.5mm Daudeteau
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FrownerAnother great cartridge that time passed by. shocker
Just got back from an avid mil. collector buddy of mine. After some help he finely reloaded and fire formed some 6.5 x 53.5 Daudetau ammo in his French Navy rifle.The fire forming went well with loads that were close to 6.5 Arasaka loads. No annealing was needed. The cases were made from 7.62x53Rmm Russian cases both commercial and military. Hopefully we'll get some chronograph data but,however, it appears that this cartridge will easily exceed 30-30 energy levels.
Wink It really is impressive that in the 1880s and 1890s how good military cartridge design was, considering what they had to work with. Today only a few remain alive. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has one the '71 Mausers that the French acquired from Germany and converted to the 6.5 at the St. Etienne arsenal, and subsequently sold to Uraguay. He also forms brass from the 54R Russian. With cast bullets it's just as accurate as most milsurp Mausers.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
A friend of mine has one the '71 Mausers that the French acquired from Germany and converted to the 6.5 at the St. Etienne arsenal, and subsequently sold to Uraguay. He also forms brass from the 54R Russian. With cast bullets it's just as accurate as most milsurp Mausers.

fishingWhat kind of velocity is he looking at ,with what bullet? waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He uses, IIRC, a 140grCG, Lyman probably and load data for the 6.5X54MS. As far as velocity goes, I doubt he ever checked.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote