Find
Notify
Tools

Does RL25 need Magnum Primers?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Getting ready to try some RL25 in my 280 wildcat. Case holds about 75.5grs of water. Going to be using some 160gr AB and based on Loadtech around 60-62grs of powder. I normally use a std primer in the same case and 63grs of Rl22 & 140gr. I've never tried RL25 so any imput about primers Std or Mag would be helpful.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably depends alot on the primer. I think a win reg primer or fed regular primer is probably as hot as others "mag" primers. How about loading 5 of ea and chronoing them and seeing what kind of groups you get. With a case capacity like that I'd be surprised if there is much difference between the two.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
yeah--let us know what kind of results you get. i just found a load for a 7 mag with 25 and 160 accubonds BUT i used a mag primer. haven't had a chance to chronograph it yet but i figure it to be right at 2950', not real hot but extremely accurate

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the size of the case has more to do with whether or not a Magnum primer is needed tahn does the powder you use. Now, there MAY be exceptions for some powders, particularly those of the spherical type with multiple deterrent coatings. But I have not personally had any problems using WW 760/H414 in a 7X57mm Mauser case with standard primers, nor when using H380 in the .308 Win., again with standard primers......

The ONLY cartridge I am currently loading that gets a Federal 215 primer is the .416 Rigby!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMHO, the size of the case has more to do with whether or not a Magnum primer is needed tahn does the powder you use. Now, there MAY be exceptions for some powders, particularly those of the spherical type with multiple deterrent coatings. But I have not personally had any problems using WW 760/H414 in a 7X57mm Mauser case

That had always been my view as well. I normally use nothing but std primers even on H414. I do use magnum primers on STW loads of 7828& RL22 but never even tried STd. Guess I'll use STds and next time I'm taken the Chrono out I'll load a couple mag primers and see if there is a diff.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the WLRs with RL25 in my 270wsm, no problem. Very even ignition, if standard deviations mean anything.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote