Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum or standard primer for 300 SAUM?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Went to the range today with my friend that I'll be hunting with in BC next month. We were getting some trigger time in with our 30.06s

We started talking about his 300 SAUM, and he brought up some article, possibly published in Guns and Ammo regarding handloads for this cartridge.

He stated to me that I should read this article. One of the points that he recalls was that the author recommended a standard large rifle primer over a magnum primer in this caliber: 300 SAUM. I assume it is because the overall case capacity really isn't that much, plus, the "short/fat" design may lend itself for an even burn with ignition from a regular large rifle primer.

I personally have no problem with this, however, it raises an eyebrow when so many other gun writer "experts" will recommend magnum primers in such calibers as a 270, with slow powders for optimum results.

I've always kept it simple...i.e., if the caliber is labeled a "magnum" then I use magnum primers. If not, I don't.

Any opinions on this? I think there would be no problem with a standard primer or magnum primer. Either way, it would be either the Fed 210 or 215 match primer.

Thoughts?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Doc, My personal rule of pinkie is over 60 grains in charge weight... magnum especially in cold climates. However; as always a caveat that if the laod shoots better with standard, well I'm a sucker for accuracy.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I agree with your rule of pinkie. Works well for me and makes logical sense.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns