Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Brass! Damn good stuff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I bought some 405 Winchester brass off Ebay. This is once fired, tumble lubed. I resized 100 cases, threw them in the case tumbler overnite in preparation for trimming and primer pocket uniforming.
The case length is supposed to be 2.58 inches these cases were between 2.585 and 2.595. That's a hundred cases from what I'd guess are mixed lots! The primer pockets barely needed uniforming, three or four turns of the primer pocket cutter and they done.
Anybody know who makes the the Hornady brass?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
My hunch has always been that Olin (Winchester) makes the Hornady/Frontier brass, based on two things:

1. Quality, dimensions, weight, etc. have always seemed very similar between the two brands.

2. The print on the headstamps are of an identical style, different from Remington, etc.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Hornady brass too. Excellent weight consistancy AND loaded ammo has runnout numbers right on top of my "neck turned" brass. I 2nd the idea it comes from Olin. The last batch of rem brass I got looked like it's final "tumble" was in a cement mixer. I will buy hornady if it's near the same price as win brass. My only complaint on win brass is in the last couple years I've gotten several batches (at different times) that had shallow primer pockets. Had to remove MUCH material before primers would seat flush. Really makes me mad when I have to spend alot of time prepping new brass.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Wish I did know who made it now but when Hornady was selling their "Frontier" brand a few years back, they outsourced it to both Winchester and Remington. What I used in 300 and 338 Win Mag I do know for a fact was Winchester who made that particular cartridge. Others in their line then were made by either and you didn't know the source, and yet other cartridges were made by Remington only. I do know the Winchester-made stuff I used WAS better than the regular Winchester. I presumed that was higher specifications and better quality control, but it weighed about the same as W-W.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the good comments on the Hornady brass. Specifically the 405 Win Brass. I haven't actually purchased the empty brass but it's obviously the same as the brass they use in the factory 405 loads and it's slick. Comes factory annealed and everything. I've been very impressed. Especially compared to the rough looking Bertram brass that I have for my 405. The Hornady is much cleaner.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote