New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 5.6X57 - Euro Swift???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Doctor pal has bought himself a Krico chambered in 5.6X57. I'm sitting here with a box of case in front of me and blow me over if this thing doesn't look like a European knock-off of the 220 Swift, just with a heavier bullet.

The rifle seems to have a fast twist: 1:10 or faster - I didn't measure.

The ballistics on the box says it fires a 74gr Kegelspitz Geschoss but no velocity given. The RWS box gives a trajectory - looks mighty flat in inches/yards for a 230yd Zero:

50/+0.2"|100/+1.4"|150/+1.6"|200/+1.0"|300/-3.7"

I am reckoning he can use the 60gr bullets and heavier, and handle it exactly like a Swift.

He is looking for loads for this little beast - has anyone got any suggestions?, Say for the 69gr BTHP and the 60gr Nosler Partition.

I know we are South African, we can work out the equivalent local powders to the American ones. We just need a starting point.

Cheers

Pete

------------------
I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allthough I don't own one (I decided I'd be too tempted to illegaly use it on deer) I allways hankered after one of these. It is a cartridge that was designed by RWS (dynamit nobel) and based on a necked down 7x57. Factory ammo goes around 3200fps with the heavy bullet.

The difficulty is that the case has a very, very thick neck. So thick that the bullet has to be swaged into the case. It is not possible to pull bullets from loaded ammunition without destroying the case. My gunsmith has done a number for Irish stalkers who used not to be able to use more than 22 centrefire. He only had a standard reamer (with the thick neck) and I was concerned about case necks splitting when turned down to normal thicknesses.

Wihtavouri have loads in their manual, this site also has loads in the load section. Good luck.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never realised this was a factory round!
I always thought it was a wildcat developed
by the Irish stalkers to maximise the .22 for hunting deer. With regards loads, I have some contacts who stalk in Ireland and I'll see if they have any info. I seem to recall they used 80gr bullets and it did not stabilise 55/60gr bullets too well, but I maybe wrong on that.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Larry>
posted
I think that I have the USA version of that round. As far as I can tell it is the 6mm Rem necked down to 22 cal, mine has a 1-10 twist, I just recently have got it and it will shoot 60 gr vmax into a very small group. I checked with VV powders and they told me that my 22-6mm would interchange data for the 5.6x57. The parent case for the 6mm Rem is the 7x57 just necked down so this makes sence. the 2 most recommended powders are H4831sc and R22.
Larry

------------------
Larry

<Rust>
posted
The reason the 5.6 X 57 has such a thick neck is that the Germans who developed the thing use a rimfire adapter for plinking duty and it needs a larger diameter neck area to work, hence the thick neck to fit.

There is an American wildcat version with a neck turned down to a reasonable thickness that is somewhat popular, especially using the 80 gr match bullets for long distance matches. It normally uses 6mm Rem brass to eliminate intermediate sizing steps.

One of the problems with such a thick neck is that near maxium loads are used to rpoperly expand the neck and seal the case. a relatively mild load doesn't seal and leaves a very sooty case.

There is data for the 22/6mm in the reloading section of this site, some of the velocities are pretty sporty.

<dcjs>
posted
@pete:
I'd even say the swift is the knock-off (not everything was invented in the states guys!!), although I'm not absolutely sure of thedate of birth of this cartrige.
I'm going to have a look at the Dynamit-Nobel reloading manual and post what I find.

mfg,

dcjs

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Pete
This is the load data from ADI for the 5.6x57 rws 26" barrel

50--AR2208--37--3700
50--AR2209--41--3700
50--AR2213--46--3700

60--AR2208--35--3450
60--AR2209--39--3450
60--AR2213--44--3450

69/70--AR2208--34--3300
69/70--AR2209--38--3300
69/70--AR2213--43--3300

74--AR2209--37--3250
74--AR2213--42--3250

Use magnum primers with AR 2213 powder

If reloading old style thick walled brass reduce these loads by at least 4 grains to avoid dangerous pressures.

Conversions
AR2208-IMR4064--AA2520
AR2209-IMR4350--W760--H414/H4350--Tu7000-N204
AR2213-IMR4831--WMR--MRP--AA3100

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@one.net.au
www.deafdog.one.net.au

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys!!

Yes I see this case has a really thick neck. The bad news is that the doc wants to load it down so he can crop (cull) impala on his farm. I am thinking now that if the case neck is too thick he is going to get inconsistent results at best. It looks like this cartridge really has to be stoked to perform.

I will pass on the info. Thanks again.

Cheers

Pete

------------------
I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I had one of these a few years back, and I gave it away.

I think the major problem with it is the factory brass - in this case RWS. It was very thick, and somehow I was not able to get anywhere near the velocities I was getting from the 220 Swift.

Funny enough, I just received a reamer for this one a couple of days ago, and I hope I will be able to build a rifle for it in the not too distant future.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rust:
...Germans who developed the thing use a rimfire adapter for plinking duty...

Nah Rust, not for plinking - you won't hit the broadside of a barn with one of them things. However, they are accustomed to using a "Fangschussgeber" for finishing off not-yet-dead critters at short ranges. It's less messy than a "Hirschf�nger"...

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don�t know about their lates issue, but some years back I bought Hornady's reloading manual and it included loads for this cartridge.
They advised against reduced loads which did not fully expand its thick neck therefore not sealing the chamber properly, and cases coming out black.
Regards,
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcjs:
@pete:
I'd even say the Swift is the knock-off (not everything was invented in the States guys!!), although I'm not absolutely sure of the date of birth of this cartridge.

Well, this has often happened indeed. Just thinkof the "All-American" .35 Whelen, which is no more than an uninspired copy or at best a re-creation of the truly excellent German 9 x 63. Or the .244 / 6 mm Remington , which only takes up idea of the century-old German 6 x 58.

However, the .220 Swift was introduced in 1935, and was built on the 6 mm Lee Navy case, whereas the 5,6 x 57 RWS saw the light of the day around 1964. Precursors (Swiss and Italian experimental military cartridges) date back to the 1880s and 1890s.

Regards,
Alexander Eichener

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote