THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Loads for 260 Rem using 100 grain ballistic tips?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 260 Rem using 100 grain ballistic tips?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
Does anybody have a pet load for the 260 Rem using 100 grain ballistic tips? Also, how do they perform on small and medium size game?

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
The 260 sucks because it has a 1-9 twist, if you have a custom barrel with a different twist you will be able to shoot a 100 grain bullet. Had one and took the barrel off, it couldn't shot anything under 120 grain with any accuracy. Looks like a great caliber, if you are interested in trying have 400 to 500 Sierra match king bullets in 107 grain that I will sell cheap. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Define small and medium sized game. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<BusPilot>
posted
Reload: You say the .260 sucks. Which gun were you shooting it out of. Ruger, Remington, Browning, Kimber? That would help. That's the first I've ever heard of the .260 not being extremely accurate in most all loads. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I got excellent results this summer with the .260 using 41.5gr H4895, Sierra 100 gr HP Varmint, and the F210M as suggested in the reloading pages. .375 group at 200 yards and with 26" 1 in 8 twist barrel!

Routinely making one shot kills on PDs up to 400 yards. Terminal performance to 400 yards was excellent. Up to two hundred was spectacular.

I also tried the 100 BT as an alternative. It didn't shoot as well and was about twice as expensive.

Scope by the way is a U.S. Optics SN-3: 6-30x58 with 35mm tube. A really fine varmint scope! Stock is a McMillan prones stock with Pre-64 Model 70 action and Lilja barrel. Two stage Jewel trigger set at about 1 pound!

[This message has been edited by DMCI* (edited 12-26-2001).]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just begun work with a new Browning single shot in 260. So far I've loaded 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and 120 gr. Sierra HPBT Match bullets. But I've done too little shooting so far to be able to announce any results with any confidence.

I must say that I'm not a fan of this rifle. It seems flimsy and insubstantial to me. It also has a trigger that requires much too much pressure to let off. Maybe I'm just too much enamored of bolt action guns to appreciate this one.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<stillavol>
posted
My wife took a pronghorn here in Nevada with a Ruger .260. She shot it at 400 yds. The bullet entered broadside and exited 2 inches below his butt. The bullet opened him up as if someone were gutting him with a knife. The guts were strung out for about 5 yards. The load was 100 gr. Nosler BT with 41.0 gr. of Varget. Oh yeah, this bullet will group in 1 inches at 100 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect VVN150 would be good, it certainly is in my 6.5x55 and I'm told there is little difference in load data for the two.

It is an excellent bullet indeed. I have shot most of my deer from 25lbs to 200lbs with this and at modest 6.5 speeds of 2,900fps it is superbly accurate and an excellent killer. It penetrates fine broadside and near broadside but is a little messy on shoulders. As a compromise bullet in the UK it is excellent I really need no other rifle.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote