New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is there still a brass shortage?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Look at Starline,Hornady,Remington and winchester and you still will see hudge back orders on brass.Wonderful Hornady has to be as slow as a turtle on their buck eack brass for my 405 win.I dont see how starline stays in ahead they have almost nothing in stock.Some of these calibers can be made from nothing else so your screwed.I know that they are making brass for other companies.Somewhere there is a mountain of brass sitting around.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I think it is laying all over Afghanistan and Iraq.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

+1

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I cant find 44 mag brass anywhere

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I read somewhere that the expenditure of rounds to enemy fatalities over there is something like 80,000 to 1???
Maybe congress was right: "don't give them soldiers repeating rifles. They'll just waste ammunition."

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
...Maybe congress was right: ...
rotflmo animal rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr,

ummmmmmmm, $$$$$$$

Rich

PS: "hey, let's create a "shortage" and just double our prices." Sounds good to me.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
dgr,

ummmmmmmm, $$$$$$$

Rich

PS: "hey, let's create a "shortage" and just double our prices." Sounds good to me.

Yup. Brass and ammo mfgs are not in the business of making brass and ammo, they're in the business of making money.

Was there a brass and ammo shortage during the Vietnam War? Reason I ask, at the time, I was there expending ammo, BOOM
not back in the World reloading it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Somewhere there is a mountain of brass sitting around.

Yes, it's in my garage, all shined and sorted.

Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strange that I have seen in S. Texas that primers have come back down in price to levels before the shortage but brass remains high? Doesn't the brass going to Afg, Iraq have primers installed, I hope the answer is yes!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Did I read somewhere that the expenditure of rounds to enemy fatalities over there is something like 80,000 to 1???
Maybe congress was right: "don't give them soldiers repeating rifles. They'll just waste ammunition."

Ever see the figgures on "rounds expended vs body count" for some of the islands in the Pacific? It's been a while but IIRC it was something like 1/16 of a 16" projo, 45 hand granades, several thousand rounds each of 50BMG, 45ACP and Carbine ammo and something over 10K of 30-06 (plus all the other sizes used) / Japanese soldier killed on one of them (Iwo Jima?).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Copper, the primary metal used in cartridge brass, is still at historic high price levels, and such price levels can only be supported by short supply. As long as copper is in short supply and priced high, ammunition makers will tend to "go slow" on production of cartridge brass, knowing that the demand for it is somewhat elastic, i.e., if it is priced fairly high there will be less of it purchased (most of us purchase more components than we really need when they seem like a bargain, but usually purchase "just enough to get by" when prices seem high.)

So long as copper prices remain high, cartridge brass will be both expensive and scarcer than it otherwise might be.

Then there is the other side of the coin that is also contributing to a continued brass shortage: Many shooters tend to be irrational horders, buying more of something when they perceive it to be in short supply and buying less when it is in abundant supply. The hoarders among us are still jumping on shipments of brass when it becomes available, thus keeping supplies short. When they die, with closets and garages full of brass and other components, their widows will be having huge garage sales to get rid of all that shit and prices for brass and bullets will go into a cyclic tumble once again Big Grin.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the time I die, it will probably be outlawed!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Copper, the primary metal used in cartridge brass, is still at historic high price levels, and such price levels can only be supported by short supply. As long as copper is in short supply and priced high, ammunition makers will tend to "go slow" on production of cartridge brass, knowing that the demand for it is somewhat elastic, i.e., if it is priced fairly high there will be less of it purchased (most of us purchase more components than we really need when they seem like a bargain, but usually purchase "just enough to get by" when prices seem high.)

So long as copper prices remain high, cartridge brass will be both expensive and scarcer than it otherwise might be.

Then there is the other side of the coin that is also contributing to a continued brass shortage: Many shooters tend to be irrational horders, buying more of something when they perceive it to be in short supply and buying less when it is in abundant supply. The hoarders among us are still jumping on shipments of brass when it becomes available, thus keeping supplies short. When they die, with closets and garages full of brass and other components, their widows will be having huge garage sales to get rid of all that shit and prices for brass and bullets will go into a cyclic tumble once again Big Grin.

there is nothing irrational about owning more brass than you can use in 10 lives is there?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have coffe cans full of 30-06 range brass that I picked up when I lived in Memphis in the 60s.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to add my opinion as to the shortage:

1. There is a war on.

2. There are too many new whiz bang new cartridges causing shorter runs.

3. #2 is amplified by #1!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot less popular cartridges there is no shortage.I shoot 40-70SS,38 S&W,41 Mag,32-20 and few other less than popular cartridges and no trouble getting brass.Even during the height of the "shortage",no shortage here.I like others have made it my bussiness to have lifetime supplies of of needed componets and be diligent in their procurement.I have box' of primers that have $8-10.00 prices marked on them from the 80's when we had a "shortage" then.
Try here for your .405 Win brass.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1341.html

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Bohannon:
If you shoot less popular cartridges there is no shortage.I shoot 40-70SS,38 S&W,41 Mag,32-20 and few other less than popular cartridges and no trouble getting brass.Even during the height of the "shortage",no shortage here.I like others have made it my bussiness to have lifetime supplies of of needed componets and be diligent in their procurement.I have box' of primers that have $8-10.00 prices marked on them from the 80's when we had a "shortage" then.
Try here for your .405 Win brass.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1341.html

Tried to find any 218 Bee, 25-20 Win, or 30-40 Krag lately?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed I made it a point to pick up brass when it was cheap and the yaho's were just leaving it on the ground! I have plenty of '06, 45 ACP, 38SP and 8x57mm, and 5.56mm, 30-30! I don't need to buy any! Thank to you all for donating it for free! Smiler

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried to find any 218 Bee, 25-20 Win, or 30-40 Krag lately?

www.gunbroker.com has about six different auctions for the Krag brass.Rocky Mountain Cartridge has your 25-20 Win, http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...e_List.pdfreal[/url] pricey stuff,last forever brass.218 Bee I see if I can help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, I've got 500 25-20 brand new cases from Midway for a rifle I haven't built yet, and at the rate I'm going (new kid) won't get done for 10 years. PM me if you're interested and I'll look up what I paid for them ~18 months ago.
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 813 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

Plus China buying everything in sight

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also heard that China is buying up all the global supply of copper and precious metals because of their need to meet their manufacturing needs which our U.S. companies pretty much handed over to them. Now who is profiting from that? Not us the average joe!!! Also we're probably selling our own metals to the Chinese because they're buying them at higher prices than our ammmo manufacturers can afford to pay and stay affordable. Don't look for ammo to get cheaper unless China starts selling it to us. Mad

Posts: 48 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote