New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer .308 150 gr. Spitzer Hot Core?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any practical field experience, deer, elk, antelope, Black bear, using the Speer .308 Hot Core 150 gr. Spitzer in either .308 Win. or .30-06??

A friend of mine gave me three unopened boxes of these bullets. I have a couple of .308 Win. rifles, and usually either use the Hornady 150 gr. Interlock, or the 165 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.

I've not used Speer Hot Cores, so would appreciate your field experience with them.

Thanks. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have used speer bullets a couple of times on deer.
200 grain .338 make a nice hole and I don't think they would stop in a deer unless hit lenghtwise.

The other was a 165 grain boattail out of a 300 win mag at about 150 yards. Through the lungs and found the bullet nicely mushroomed on the far side skin.

I have shot lots of speer bullets downrange for target practice. Many times they would shoot to the same point of impact as my hunting bullets.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those 150 Speers will work just fine on Deer & Antelope at 308 & 30-06 speeds.

I would not use it for Black Bear though. It is a soft bullet.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatley those bullets are outdated and worthless. In fact they are worse than worthless as they contain a substance that is known to the state of California to cause birth defects. You should send them to me without delay for proper disposal...

Posts: 10152 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The largest bodied whitetail I ever took fell to a 150 Speer in a 308 carbine... it punched through both shoulders and exited. The deer died. I was happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, hunters. As I said, I've not used Hot Core bullets before, so figured someone here could help. I'll load up some and give them a try this fall on Idaho Muleys, although will probably pull a MORTIE and try them out first on ground squirrels.

WestrnHuntr, I would send them to you, but can't find anything wrong with them. Afterall, just about everything in Kalif. is outlawed, one way or another.
L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote